Group Park 5

Broxzier

I think the forums also download your image and store it themselves, so it doesn't get updated with your php script anymore.

9 hours ago, SpiffyJack said:

Is there a technique I don't know about? this is SICK! I LOVE IT! the curvature is spot on and not easy. 

I was working on a heightmap loader yesterday. :P This image inspirit me to do so:

On 9-2-2017 at 03:03, Foxy said:

Landscape1-1495x574-1503749400.jpg

Edited by Broxzier
5 minutes ago, Broxzier said:

I was working on a heightmap loader yesterday. :P This image inspirit me to do so:

did you also read what i said about the map size :D

i think a 100 ² mile map excced some hardcoded limits

This map was (i think) from the UDK-Engine, but it looked very similar to the flow-map i used for my island :D

1 hour ago, Broxzier said:

I was working on a heightmap loader yesterday.

Interesting, how did you approach the problem of choosing the best slope for the tile? I took the approach of minimizing the squared differences between the corner points of the tile and the heightmap. Results were generally good on smooth terrain, but on rougher maps there'd be a few tiles with a poor choice of slope, because my algorithm treats each tile independently.

2 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Interesting, how did you approach the problem of choosing the best slope for the tile? I took the approach of minimizing the squared differences between the corner points of the tile and the heightmap. Results were generally good on smooth terrain, but on rougher maps there'd be a few tiles with a poor choice of slope, because my algorithm treats each tile independently.

This is off-topic, but I'll answer here anyway. What I'm doing now is fairly simple, for each tile it checks the height of its neighbours, and saves the offset in an array, including diagonal ones. If any of the three tiles around a corner have a greater base height, it raises the slope. When 3 of the 4 corners are raised, it checks if the middle corner can be raised more, by checking if the base height of the diagonal tile from that one has a height offset of 4 units or more. I am planning at improving this further, by taking the other tile's slopes into account, but right now it's entirely based on their base height.

You can find the relevant code here: https://github.com/Broxzier/OpenRCT2/blob/heightmap/src/openrct2/world/map_helpers.c#L329

Edited by Broxzier
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, imlegos said:

Ok, now I'm curious, what country spells it as "que", I've always seen it as "queue"

Haahaa @imlegos I know right!?! Short hand I guess... every time (all the time) I type 'queue' ... it auto changes to 'Que' ... so I at this point, the heck with it! :D

btw.. America here.. maybe that's why lol

Edited by SpiffyJack

i have a question:

should this forest be a natural mixed woodland or a forest artificially grown by humans (you know... those forests that are more organized by tree types. -> a forest patch with only oaks, another with only another type of tree)

right now, its a mixed woodland.

589e308738921_2017-02-1022-26-47.png.1b2b432cc73b3685755f348def7908f5.png

There also 2 glades in this forest

also changed the desert area and made the gap between grass and sand a bit more blurred

589e30c078d76_2017-02-1022-27-03.png.eea01f2062b03781b084616fc85f0960.png

the area with all the bushes could be clay. that would prevent the water from flowing down to the desert, causing it to dry out. There is the only way, why there could be a desert in the first place.

and the last area im working on is the lake:

589e3155d1ca0_2017-02-1022-27-28.png.77a4eb9fd363760aa416eec5bc1174f9.png

because i like lakes. free fresh water :D

I used bushes to create a more random looking shore. But to keep this illusion, we need to add a lot more bushes all around the park. At least in the areas without attractions. When there are rides, the area around it, should be bulldozed anyway. But outside of the park, it could look a bit more natural in my opinion.

But what do you prefer:

"humanized"- forests

- or -

Natural forstes

Edited by Foxy

most themenparks are built on farmlands anyway, so it could be the case :D

(At least in germany its the case. because of the fact, that themen parks need to be in a certain distant to cities, because of the noise, its the cheapest way to buy land from farmers).

building land on the other hand is expensive farmland located directly at the border of cities

4 minutes ago, imlegos said:

I thought lakes weren't fresh water, considering they're still water.

Not when its feeded by a underground well and the area is a  water protection area.

And for a fox, its good enough :D

Im trying to smoothly change the tree color from bright green to dark green right now without making it look badly. Its more difficult than i thought.

Edited by Foxy
56 minutes ago, imlegos said:

I thought lakes weren't fresh water, considering they're still water.

Fresh doesn't mean still, it means it's not salty. Lakes are usually freshwater, because they are continuously replenished by rainfall, but this isn't always the case. Some lakes have no outflow, so they lose water primarily by evaporation. Dissolved salts do not evaporate so they become concentrated in the lake.

• Like 3

I found iron. Wohoo.

We can now save some money for our steel rollercoasters \o/

589e476438ff0_2017-02-1100-04-54.png.77f5409047466936590441bde2b022e9.png

And here the full map right now:

589e482b25796_2017-02-1100-08-46.thumb.png.5fb971d0e561f4cab8eb4c7f9cee10f3.png

starting with fine tuning right now. (terrain painting with small sized brush and smoothing out the edges of the terrain with bushes)

Edited by Foxy
  • Like 1