Mechanic bug getting to a ride (RESOLVED)

First off, THANK YOU for doing this project. I LOVE RCT2 and it's probably my all time favorite game.

That said, I'm noticing an odd bug on the "Factory Capers" map. I'm using one of the buildings and attached a Log Flume to it. I have a dedicated mechanic with a zone enabled for this ride and one other water ride by the pond in the middle of the map. As I was playing I kept getting a message saying the Log Flume hasn't been fixed in a quite a long time. I went to look and it shows that my mechanic took the call and is en route to fix it, but he's not walking anywhere near the log flume. I pick him up and place him right by the entrance of the ride, which resets his call. After he walked 1-2 blocks he gets the call again and is again en route.

But this is where the bug comes in. He doesn't go through either the entrance or the exit of the broken ride that he is right next to. In fact he walks right by them, and insists on walking down a path away from the ride. I removed his zone and tried again, same problem. I hired a new mechanic and picked up the old one so the new one would get the call, same problem.

Attached is a screenshot. The queue path and exit path are inside the building, so the only thing sticking outside is the ride and the entrance/exit. The yellow circle is where I placed him and then the path he took to walk away from the right instead of fixing it. I looked through the issue tracker but didn't see this one specifically, so sorry if it's there and I missed it. Thanks for looking into this!

EDIT: I just realized something. Look at the smaller screenshot. Even though the entrance is on the end of the path, there are benches blocking it. I think this is the cause of the problem. Guests don't seem to have an issue going through the benches but the Mechanic thinks the path is blocked.

openrct2-bug.gif

screenshot.46.jpg

Edited by Esch
  • Like 1

Mechanics fix from exits in RCT2, not entrances, and seeing as the exit is not connected to path in the second screenshot...

Also, mechanics forget their task if you pick them up, as it overides the "head to X" with the unplaced text.

Likely, there's a wall infrount of the exit, since path objects don't obscure the collision of paths.

Also, I recomend using Ctrl+S for screens instead of just prntscrn

Edited by imlegos
  • Like 2

Disconnected exits don't block the ride from operating, but it does block mechanics. Disconnected paths are often caused by the 'disable clearance checks' cheat. Avoid that cheat when building paths (it may even break existing paths).

Note that there is bench visible because the path is not connected, otherwise the bench won't show up there.

Edited by jensj12
  • Like 1

I'm glad that this topic has been discussed. I've got another issue to add on to this one.

I'm currently working on an SP project, and half of the rides always break down because 

A) the mechanics can't get to it

B) the paths might be disconnected

and/or C) there's another underlying issue.

My problem is that a certain ride (or several) both the entrance and exit seem to be 'unclaimed' from the park's area. I mean it as in they aren't 'in' the park. However, the ride can still operate (as long as cheats are used to keep it from breaking down). Guests can enter and exit the ride with ease, the mechanics, cannot.

Another thing about this is that trying to claim the land does not work. None of it. You have to delete the exit and entrance, fix the land, and then replace them. It seemed to work for awhile, but I noticed the very same rides which had the issue in the first place.

What's odd about it is that none of the other rides (minus a few who gained the issue) have the issue. There's four or five with it, but the entire rest of the SP project is unscathed. 

It's an interesting bug, and it's not necessarily a game killer....but for those who are making a serious/real life park, it's quite an annoyance.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Esch said:

EDIT: I just realized something. Look at the smaller screenshot. Even though the entrance is on the end of the path, there are benches blocking it. I think this is the cause of the problem. Guests don't seem to have an issue going through the benches but the Mechanic thinks the path is blocked.

Rebuild the path and the path should reconnect to the exit. 

On 5/26/2017 at 11:40, imlegos said:

Likely, there's a wall infrount of the exit, since path objects don't obscure the collision of paths.

Also, I recomend using Ctrl+S for screens instead of just prntscrn

Yes, what ended up happening was there was a wall there in front of the exit, but the weird thing is is that when I placed the entrance to the ride, it removed that wall, but didn't remove it for the exit. Since I could only see inside by turning off the building, I never was able to see that the wall was there. I removed the roof and took the wall out and everything works now. If people couldn't get in the entrance then I would have known immediately what was up.

And why do you assume I used PRNTSCRN and what does it even matter if I did? I actually used a screen capture program and highlighted the part I wanted to save.

21 hours ago, Esch said:

Since I could only see inside by turning off the building, I never was able to see that the wall was there.

Have you not yet noticed the reasonably new "Cut-away View" feature under the view options? It's useful for seeing inside buildings (and underground).

Edited by zaxcav
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

Have you not yet noticed the reasonably new "Cut-away View" feature under the view options? It's useful for seeing inside buildings (and underground).

Oh no I have not! I'm still getting use to all the new features brought in by OpenRCT and missed that. I will check it out, thanks for the tip!

On 5/28/2017 at 14:25, Esch said:

And why do you assume I used PRNTSCRN and what does it even matter if I did? I actually used a screen capture program and highlighted the part I wanted to save.

Control + S uses the in game screenshot function, which is often easier to use.