How to add missing music "css10.dat" + "css16.dat" back:

To get the 2 missing merry-go-round music tracks back into the game, just download this archive and replace the 2 files in the rct2 data folder (ReadMe also included):

Original Post:

I just noticed something interesting:
 In RCT2, the Merry-Go Round Music is stored from css4.dat to css9.dat & css11.dat to css15.dat .

css10.dat + css16.dat are empty files.

The music follows the general tracklist of the source vinyl: https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-The-Bressingham-Voigt/release/2840687
BUT very interestingly, it skips the songs B1 "March - Stars And Stripes For Ever" & B7 "Petersburgher Schilttenfahrt (St. Petersburgh Sleighride)"

those correspond PRECICELY to the empty css10.dat and css16.dat spot.
That can't be a two-time coincidence. They must have been originally in the game as well but removed later in development. 

Now, I happen to have this vinyl and EDIT: managed to bring them back into the game! Thanks to the help of Gymnasiast ! Here's the nessesary files + a ReadMe (it's fairly straight foward):

These are public domain tracks played by a 100 year+ old mechanical organ. So there shouldn't be any copyright issues.

Also, is there a way to increase the duration of the in-game music tracks ? I'd like to modify some but as far as I know you are limited to the same duration for a track.

Edited by NightHawk

Just replace the css10.dat and css16.dat files and then modify `object/rct2/music.fairground.json to add them.

Also, is there a way to increase the duration of the in-game music tracks ? I'd like to modify some but as far as I know you are limited to the same duration for a track.

There is no such limitation.

• 1 month later...

I’ll tell you a nice tidbit - these files also work in RCT1! Apparently it does try to read css10.dat, css12.dat (Bella Bella Bimba) and css16.dat.

We are going to add your metadata to our own fairground music style definition, so that people can just drop in css10.dat and css16.dat if desired. Do you have a GitHub account, so we can give your proper credit?

Edited by Gymnasiast
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • NightHawk changed the title to How to add missing music "css10.dat" + "css16.dat" back:
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...