Dinghy crashing, potential problem?

Ran into another potential problem with the Dinghy slide crashing. Not sure if this is something new, but I've been playing RCT since the original came out and never encountered this problem before.

After a "small" steep drop I used a gentle slope piece and then a flat piece (in the original scenario it was going under another coaster so had to do it this way for clearance.) It tests fine, but when riders get on, it crashes on the soft slope piece. I uploaded an image where this is occurring. Is this something new or has Dinghy slide always been this way? I've tried using both the open & closed pieces but still the same result. Sorry if this isn't a problem, but wanted to make sure.

dinghycrash.jpg

The dinghy slide crashes if it goes over a hill (either up to flat or flat to down) with too much speed. Since the dinghies are heavier with peeps on them, they lose less speed and thus may crash even though it didn't while testing. That said, covered pieces should prevent crashes.

Oh, RCT mechanics!!! I'm sorry for these useless threads but I never knew these things existed. I always knew to cover the tracks going UP but down? No. I covered the whole 2nd drop and not having problems now, but still doesn't make sense to me. I guess I haven't been playing as much as I thought. Thanks again

8 hours ago, jensj12 said:

The dinghy slide crashes if it goes over a hill (either up to flat or flat to down) with too much speed. Since the dinghies are heavier with peeps on them, they lose less speed and thus may crash even though it didn't while testing. That said, covered pieces should prevent crashes.

But isn't that a contradiction? Sure, with peeps the dinghys are faster. But they are also heavier, so a higher gravity pulls them down.  

I also find it unrealistic that the dinghies explodes when crashing :D

• Funny 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Using covered track doesn't always stop a dinghy from crashing. I found this out a couple of days ago. This wouldn't happen at first, but after the ride had been open for a few minutes, it would start crashing at a medium-fast covered turn. I edited the track so I can't check, but now I think about it, I think that part of the track might have been touching another part of track. The game didn't say that they were in each other's way, and it let me go through with the build, but I wonder if it was nonetheless crashing against the other part of track... Though why that consistently took a few minutes from construction and opening to start happening, I have no idea.

That sounds like a difference in mass caused it. If it's a hill that the boats would barely get over, it's most likely a boat that didn't make it at all and then a second boat crashed into it. Without a saved game or even a screenshot it's hard to replicate. If you still have the ride in one of your autosaves, please do share it here or on GitHub.

• 2 weeks later...

@Broxzier, if you're referring to my comment, the crash spot in the ride was actually a fairly high-speed curve--covered, so I thought it was okay, but apparently not. There weren't any risky hills after it, so no chance of a backslide. I don't have any save, though, so it'll just have to go down as hearsay. ¬¬