OpenRCT2
Sign in to follow this  
X7123M3-256

My Custom Rides

I thought I'd post another update on the state of my custom track project:
intamintrack.thumb.png.fd4f6d0456b935577c3116158fca20d3.png

Since the last time posted about this I have added half loops, but the most significant improvement is the use of arc length parametrization for all track piece curves, which eliminates the distortion that was previously visible on many track pieces, particularly diagonals.

I also found that the geometry of the diagonal slopes was incorrect; fixing this has made the discontinuities between diagonal pieces much less severe.

• Like 1

That is certainly looking more aligned with how RCT's tracks look! One question: is this still Intamin track? I don't recognise the track style, and searching on the internet only seems to return a track style that looks like RCT's Giga Coaster.

2 hours ago, Gymnasiast said:

One question: is this still Intamin track? I don't recognise the track style, and searching on the internet only seems to return a track style that looks like RCT's Giga Coaster.

This is Intamin double spine track, first used on Intimidator 305 and now frequently seen on Intamin's larger rides such as Skyrush, Red Force and Flying Aces. They still use the classic triple-rail track for smaller installations.

I would really like to do the triple rail track as well, but it's so hard to match the existing sprites. I honestly don't think my renderer is capable of reproducing existing track with any settings - something is missing and I think it's probably the lighting. I only use one light source but it was pointed out on the Gitter that some sprites are clearly lit from multiple angles. It's such a widely used track style, I may have to give it another go.