Edit Ride Stats?

I think there is a use case for both. The rating calculation could do with alteration, but the ability to override it would still be useful because certain hacks play havoc with the ratings. There is a drop tower in my current park that has an intensity rating of 16+, because it's a shoestring and the front car (from which the ratings are calculated) is not the one the peeps actually ride, and it has 300ft drop into unbanked curves (which are needed to switch the car onto seperate brake and lift sections). Of course I'd prefer it if the shoestring wasn't necessary, but for now at least it is. The game's drop tower has a brake run too short to allow a tower of this height.

• Like 1

Well - The Heartline Twister Coaster has a WAY to low excitement rating.

Also is it at all possible to decrease the intensity after a coaster has more than 10 inversions. I have 23 on one coaster (it's based off The Smiler) but the intensity is 14 and the excitement is a measly 2. Is there any way to increase the excitement level to a more realistic level like 6?. I don't like how coasters with more than 10 inversions start to go crazy on the intensity and lower excitement. I would like the number of inversions to affect the intensity to be 14. The reason I am saying this is due to The Smiler (which I have ridden). The Smiler is a very popular rollercoaster (not so much now after the crash), and if that was built in RCT2 hardly anyone would ride. I just want the Ratings System to be tweaked to match today's standard (if you know what I mean).

6 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

I think there is a use case for both. The rating calculation could do with alteration, but the ability to override it would still be useful because certain hacks play havoc with the ratings. There is a drop tower in my current park that has an intensity rating of 16+, because it's a shoestring and the front car (from which the ratings are calculated) is not the one the peeps actually ride, and it has 300ft drop into unbanked curves (which are needed to switch the car onto seperate brake and lift sections). Of course I'd prefer it if the shoestring wasn't necessary, but for now at least it is. The game's drop tower has a brake run too short to allow a tower of this height.

I think you are dead right! I had a drop tower over 500ft (Roto-Drop) it slammed back into the station. I'm surprised the +ve G's didn't kill the peeps! It had an intensity of over 20! I think I have a solution - have an extra track piece available during construction - a brake section. At least then you can build huge drop towers and build a large enough brake section to slow the train down to a stop.

Edited by DaKoasterNerd
  • Like 2
Just now, DaKoasterNerd said:

Well - The Heartline Twister Coaster has a WAY to low excitement rating.

It's a TOGO, I think that one is deserved (though I haven't actually ridden one, they don't exactly have a good reputation).

lso is it at all possible to decrease the intensity after a coaster has more than 10 inversions

I think all the hard limits and penalties need to go except those that actually make the ride dangerous. The game needs to stop confusing roughness with intensity - a lot of rough rides have unreasonably high intensity because of it - I'd remove that and just make such rides less popular. I would prefer a rating system that looks at the entire track layout instead of just the aggregate stats - not sure exactly how it would work though.

I think I have a solution - have an extra track piece available during construction - a brake section

That's clearly the right solution, I think. But it probably requires a new file format. Also, the Intamin 2nd gen drop towers have multiple independent vehicles on the same tower, and that requires not just a new track piece but changes to the underlying logic. I'll probably have to keep using shoestrings for a while yet.

The only reason I am asking for the Heartline to be changed is because I have made a custom pipeline coaster that features turns and loops. Also, I believe the Ultra Twisters (TOGO Pipeline) aren't that rough. I really want to go on one! The only bad part is the sudden stop before the brake (just before you tilt and go backwards).

Here is a POV of one:

Like I said earlier, they look super fun! Why isn't anyone making pipeline Roller Coasters anymore?

I'm getting off topic...

This is still my favourite of the TOGO pipelines. Also the only one with a non-standard layout.

6 minutes ago, DaKoasterNerd said:

I have made a custom pipeline coaster that features turns and loops

TOGO's designs don't do that, so if you're doing that, you're a) actually modelling a different type of ride (Arrow pipeline, maybe?), in which case my preferred option would be to create a seperate object for it, or b) you're not aiming for realism, which is fine, but that would be a use case for a cheat like this IMO. I do think that rides shouldn't get penalized for unusually long layouts as long as they are still safe to ride however.

6 minutes ago, DaKoasterNerd said:

Why isn't anyone making pipeline Roller Coasters anymore?

They've been largely obsoleted by modern manufacturing techniques. The novelty they offered was the ability to carry out elements that, at the time, were new and unique, but now, there's just no need for the extra expense and engineering difficulties of building a pipeline coaster because with computer aided manufacturing you can shape steel track into pretty much whatever shape you want. That allows for heartlining the track, which is ubiquitous on modern rides and pretty much eliminates the need to have the riders positioned between the rails. Arrow put a lot of effort into developing a pipeline coaster but they didn't sell a single one. There is also a lone Intamin model.

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jensj12 said:

It has already been discussed in another topic: https://openrct2.org/forums/topic/1097-cheat-suggestions/

Instead modifying the rating by hand I'd rather change the calculations have them calculated 'correctly'.

Could you provide an example of ride ratings of which you think they should be changed?

Another reason is that people might be using a "filler" attraction covered by scenery to simulate an attraction not in the game- like a custom boat ride with surfboards with lots of water scenery to simulate a wave generator.  Of course, the ratings for a boat ride don't fit what a wave simulator would get in RL, so a feature to adjust ratings would work very well to solve this problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
3 hours ago, TheJay said:

Has there been any progress on this? I came here after my fun has been ruined building long length coasters that really aren't that rough and get penalised solely on length.

There should be a mod/plugin for more realistic ride stats already.

The idea of open source, and especially the plug-in system, is that you could make it yourself. Just complaining it doesn’t exist is not going to make it appear.

OpenRCT2 contains ways to override a ride’s excitement, intensity and nausea, though. You can set these via the in-game console, and a plug-in can also use these. Make sure you are on a recent develop build for this.

• Like 1

I'm not complaining, I am making an observation about something that should have been included in the original game.

I can see I am not the only person who has encountered this and thought to post about it, I am the one to post about it most recently though.

I've seen YouTube videos about using the console and shoestringing to prevent ride stats changing but that's not a solid or comprehensive solution to an issue that is much bigger than one track design/ride type. It's an important part of the game, getting decent stats makes a big difference to success in scenarios and that's all based on some flawed logic.

I give credit to LordMarcel for his very comprehensive guides, particularly 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Sorry for bumping this, but there are json files for the rides that you can edit to add +127 excitement, intensity, and/or nausea, but that is all I know about modifying the core without much coding knowledge. Heck, you can make them never crash/collide or even never have breakdowns or even have them all sheltered by modifying the jsons. Just to be aware, it does require a lot of patience to go through all of those jsons to find what you want. My suggestion for editing them: Use notepadd++ as the integrated one, at least on windows, is terrible. Also take note that they will be updated once in a while, so expect the need to re-edit them.