By complex, i'm more referring to overall. When a song is complex, using variants of existing themes and such, there's more reason to listen to the song because there's something to come back to. A simple theme is just that, and once you hear it, you've heard it. There's never anything new to follow. But when a theme is complex, you don't hear it all. You listen to the song multiple times and hear the song differently every time.

Maybe it's not your type of music. I don't look to music to find something new every time. Not every song has to give a different experience each time you listen to it. I listen to music primarily to relive the same epicness I felt the first time I listened to it, and I don't get bored of it.

I'm up for any music I listen to, but your selection does have boundaries I guess. I look at Ride of The Valkyries in a different spectrum of light than I do something like Pyrates Beware (part of AC IV's OST) which has a lot going on in various sections. 

Might be a good time to put this here:

57 minutes ago, SensualEthiopianPolice said:

It offers little in the way of complexity and creates superficial emotion that goes well in a scene where a movie can back it up but not on its own. 

I disagree with you. There's a lot of music created for movies that I like without having seen them. The link between the music and the movie is usually what makes it worse.

The best part about this topic is that we have a lot of different variety in here.  Started off as a mind soothing thing, but we have techno music, video game music, orchestral style pieces (like the thing Broxzier's 8 hour long playlist had) and something like Jazz/Funk. :) 

Almost like a, dare I say, Roller Coaster? Well, at least a roller coaster made with track merging and different vehicle types enabled from the cheats :P 

Edited by ziscor

If there is one thing I learnt here, it is that anything can be epic to any one. But seriously, am I the only one who has a fire blazing in my insides while I listen to Ride of The Valkyries? That thing makes me wanna go into battle or something. Or do a regular thing with an over-the-top dramatic effect; like eating a potato chip, or doodling something silly. Or both. Taking a crap is definitely the best use, though.

Edited by ziscor

This is one of the most progressive songs I have ever listened to. It starts off by setting out a simple tune. As it carries from one verse to the next, it increases in complexity, adding new layers to the beat. Several times through its course it reaches a climax, and the beat switches to a simpler tune, only to complexify more. Then, when it finally ends, you can hear the original tune from the beginning, tying everything together and suggesting a new beginning, the start of something equally epic. Truly a masterpiece.

• Like 1

I wish I could add a little variety/world culture to this topic offering a song from my home country, but that ain't happening :P.

And in the topic of epicness, I leave you with this:

Or any videos of this channel TBH.

And I enjoy a little Indie now and then sens.  :)

• Like 1