Charging for both rides and park entrance

One thing that really angered me about Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 was the fact that you could not charge for rides and the park entrance fee, as not being able to charge for the park entrance meant that you always had guests who would enter your park and then leave without paying a cent, while not being able to charge for rides meant that your guests would never leave after paying that flat fee, and all rides would have negative income.

So when I found out that Open RCT2 had the cheat option to change it back to RCT1's design where you could charge for both, I was excited. Sadly, when I actually tried this, my guests would refuse to ride on my rides because apparently if you dare to charge for your park entrance, they will refuse to go on the rides that aren't free. Is there a way to change the mentality of the guests so that they'll be willing to fork over more money for both the park and the rides like in the first game? If not, I really hope this becomes an option in the future.

Sadly, when I actually tried this, my guests would refuse to ride on my rides because apparently if you dare to charge for your park entrance, they will refuse to go on the rides that aren't free.

No, they are still prepared to pay, but only one fourth of what they would normally pay for a ride.

• Like 2

I should elaborate: In Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 I could get away with charging around $1 for gentle rides, and $1.50 for thrill rides for the first 8 months those rides are built (and after that, I just replace them to start the cycle all over). With the math involved for RCT2's expectations, you can't really do that anymore. Is there a way to at least change the guest rates to be consistent with the first game? Otherwise nobody will ride those flat rides if I charge an entrance fee, and can only charge for roller coasters.

Edited by RainingMetal

The pricing for new rides has been changed in OpenRCT2. In RCT2, guests would always pay at least +$6 for any new ride (so +$1,50 if you charge entry fee). This was considered broken and has been replaced by a 1,5x multiplier. The result is about the same for good rollercoasters, but you can't charge insane amounts for flat rides anymore.

Edited by jensj12

I'd like to see separate algorithms for roller coasters and flat rides, to allow me to get at least some profit off of them (and to prevent timid guests from staying in my park indefinitely). Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 did it the best way in my experience. I don't mind not charging obscene fees for roller coasters if I can get a guaranteed income from park entry fees also.

As far as I know the pricing algorithms of RCT1 and RCT2 are exactly the same (the only difference being the option to charge for both in RCT1, or entrance fee only in RCT2, both are available in OpenRCT2). If you want to make money from rides, either put down very good rides (most flat rides are not) or don't charge park entry fee.

Then we're both missing the point. Through the cheats menu (and soon as normal scenario option), you can charge for both rides and park entry. Apart from one fixed exploit, this is exactly the same as in RCT1. For older discussions on why it deviates for new rides, please refer to #5294 (and #13244).

3 hours ago, jensj12 said:

Then we're both missing the point. Through the cheats menu (and soon as normal scenario option), you can charge for both rides and park entry. Apart from one fixed exploit, this is exactly the same as in RCT1. For older discussions on why it deviates for new rides, please refer to #5294 (and #13244).

Believe me, I enabled that cheat, but when I set a price tag for my park entrance and then set up my usual price tags for my rides, my guests would absolutely refuse to ride any of the flat rides because "I'm not paying that much to go on [Ride name]", even though I could easily get away with charging for at least $1 for the less thrilling flat rides for the first several months of the ride's opening in the first game. The roller coasters with their higher stats could be charged more fairly as usual.

2 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

The PR also mentions that you can revert to the original pricing via a compiler flag, so you can have it be exactly the same if you want that.

As someone who doesn't have much modding experience for this game, I'd love to see thorough instructions to achieve this.

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2021 at 09:49, Gymnasiast said:

No, they are still prepared to pay, but only one fourth of what they would normally pay for a ride.

Related but the opposite, is there a way in openrct2 to disable charging for both rides and entry so it is one or the other? In the original scenarios it started off that you can charge for entry and rides, but i would like to only charge for entry. Is there a way to turn the rides free without having to do this for every single ride I put down?

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, jensj12 said:

There's a cheat for that (you may need to enable cheats from the options menu first). In the future it will also become a normal scenario option.

It became a normal scenario option a few years ago.

On 31/07/2021 at 09:34, SillyBilly14 said:

Related but the opposite, is there a way in openrct2 to disable charging for both rides and entry so it is one or the other? In the original scenarios it started off that you can charge for entry and rides, but i would like to only charge for entry. Is there a way to turn the rides free without having to do this for every single ride I put down?

Enable the cheats menu, then click the golden shovel -> Scenario Options -> Third tab -> Change the option.

• Like 1