Can't Enable Night Lights

New to OpenRCT2, and excited at all of the possibilities! I discovered the night setting, but the night lights options are greyed out. I changed the rendered to OpenGL, and I can get night time in game, but I can not enable the lighting effects. Any ideas why? My system is pretty high end (mostly into racing sims in VR) so it's not a capability issue and there shouldn't be a compatability/driver issue (though not outside the realms of possibility).

• Like 1

Gday,

I like the look of the night lighting as well. The game says to use with caution as it's experimental currently. If I enable night/day and lighting, things really bog down and have troubles refreshing. I haven't submitted a bug report as I'm sure it'll be already on the list of things to do.  :)  Which I suspect is a rather long list.  :)

I've poked around some more, and I've been able to activate them in the second "software" rendering mode (can't see what's in the brackets beside it). Initially had a lot of issues with rendering but returning the scale to 1 fixed those issues. So I now have night lights; but not in the OpenGL rendering mode for some reason.

1 hour ago, Ryno917 said:

I've poked around some more, and I've been able to activate them in the second "software" rendering mode (can't see what's in the brackets beside it). Initially had a lot of issues with rendering but returning the scale to 1 fixed those issues. So I now have night lights; but not in the OpenGL rendering mode for some reason.

That's correct, it only works with the rendering mode set to "Software (hardware display)" as far as I am aware.

2 hours ago, ExCrafty said:

If I enable night/day and lighting, things really bog down and have troubles refreshing

It's known to have performance issues, that's why it's marked as experimental. The guy who implemented it originally never really finished it, and it hasn't been a high priority for the developers.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Well, if you can figure out how to improve it then you could always submit a PR to fix it.

You do realise that I did say "not important".

And I'm possibly the furthest from a coder that you could get. The last time I'd did anything remotely like programming was back in '91 on an 8-bit HP "suitcase" as part of my electronics course. Before that, it was back in '80 on an Exidy Sorcerer with it's basic interpreter cartridge.  :D

If I'm being misunderstood, then I apologise.

18 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

That's correct, it only works with the rendering mode set to "Software (hardware display)" as far as I am aware.

Ah, so that was just me misunderstanding the terms; I thought OpenGL was a hardware-only renderer. That being said, had I been able to read the 'hardware display' in the dropdown I'd have sussed it but it didn't fit in the window on my end :)

With the scale at 1 I don't get any rendering issues on my end, and with the new 2 and 4x zoom implementation I'm a happy camper. Hopefully when work calms down a bit I can find some time to make a couple objects; I'd really like to do some new, more modern, pathway lamps, benches and litter bins. :)

• 10 months later...