RCT1 to RCT2 ... What annoyed me.

Gday,

This is certainly NOT a beef with OpenRCT2. Back when RCT1 was originally released, I thought it was awesome, I always loved playing around with it and designing rides. Most of the scenarios were not to hard for me, except for Pokey Park, I found that one very frustrating. But I got there and got to Mega Park, and all was right with the world.  :)

Then along came RCT2, which I thought was going to be awesome as well. But for me it was a bit disappointing and annoying. So much of the time you couldn't charge park admission and had to rely on rides etc for income, for me this was hard, I'd always preferred to have free rides and just charge admission. The other thing were the coasters ..... coasters that had had more than one option for vehicles, were now split into separate coasters entirely, such as the Junior and Classic, they used the same track pieces and I'd had pre-built rides for RCT1, that couldn't be used in RCT2 because of this. Those were really my only issues with 2, and yes, they're minor, but for me they were significant.

I'll stop ranting now. I still love playing around with designing rides, especially with OpenRCT2.   :D

Looks like OpenRCT2 is the perfect fit for you then. Through cheats, you can charge both for park entry and rides, and RCT1-like ride groups are re-introduced. Mini/junior/classic coaster compatibility is still being worked on, but any RCT1 coaster can be imported.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mickyd said:

Speaking of which, i can't do any scenarios where it's pay for rides. It's always pay for entrance, which isn't how RCT2 is. Can't seem to change it

On 19/08/2020 at 12:19, ExCrafty said:

So much of the time you couldn't charge park admission and had to rely on rides etc for income, for me this was hard, I'd always preferred to have free rides and just charge admission.

If you're using OpenRCT2, you can change a scenario from pay-per-ride to pay-per-entry or vice versa. You can also set it to allow you to charge for both (I think this option is default for RCT1 scenarios, which allowed charging for both in the original).

• 9 months later...
On 06/09/2020 at 04:34, ExCrafty said:

You mean it doesn't make sense ... to you.

Not everyone is the same.

Indeed. With Pay for Entrance, you're guaranteed to get income from every guest who enters your park. Not so much with Pay for Ride, which while you can get rides to make their due, you don't always get income from every guest, because they're so stupid that they'll leave within minutes of entering your park without riding anything.

RCT1 had the best of both worlds, in which you can charge for both. Even with the OpenRCT2 cheat that allows this, guests will REFUSE to pay up for rides if you dare charge any fee for entering the park!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RainingMetal said:

With Pay for Entrance, you're guaranteed to get income from every guest who enters your park. Not so much with Pay for Ride, which while you can get rides to make their due, you don't always get income from every guest, because they're so stupid that they'll leave within minutes of entering your park without riding anything.

Pay per ride is usually easier. You generate a steady income that's proportional to the number of rides you have - the small number of guests that might not pay anything is easily offset by the fact that most guests are spending hundreds over the time they're in the park. Coasters are highly profitable - guests will often pay £15 or even £20 for a brand new coaster, and if you're running three trains of 20-30 riders each, you're looking at upwards of £1000 income per ride cycle.

In pay per entry parks, you get money when guests enter the park, but you're limited in how much you can charge because they only spawn with so much cash - and once in the park, they're spending very little. There's a soft cap on the number of guest in your park, so once your park fills up, your income becomes severely limited as new guests won't enter until existing ones leave. Therefore, it's harder to make steady profits - you either have to expand rapidly and advertise aggressively so you always have new guests coming in, or try to encourage guests to leave sooner (like by not building food stalls or toilets). You can also profit from food and drink sales, but guests won't buy food as often or pay as nearly as much as they would for rides.

5 minutes ago, RainingMetal said:

Even with the OpenRCT2 cheat that allows this, guests will REFUSE to pay up for rides if you dare charge any fee for entering the park!

They won't refuse to pay for rides, but the amount that they're willing to pay for rides is a lot lower if they had to pay any amount to enter, which makes sense, although it's a bit simplistic - whether they paid £1 or £50 to enter, the amount they'll pay for rides is the same.

• Like 1

The math for how much a guest pays is all out of wack in RCT2's example compared to the first game. There, I was able to charge a dollar or a dollar fifty for most flat rides in addition to charging for a park entrance fee, at least if the ride's under 8 months old. Here, you basically can't charge anything for those rides.

I'd love to see this cheat be adjusted to cater towards this system, because I thoroughly enjoyed having a guaranteed income for all guests who enter, yet be able to profit off of rides as well.