Can't open the app

• 1 month later...

I'm posting to this thread because it sounds like we're having the same problem.

My brother showed me this version of the game after I tried to download RCT2 from Steam. We went to the discussion board where this is recommended for people who have windows 10. However, once I've downloaded the Windows (x86) version, because my program files say Program Files(x86) I thought this was the correct download for my system. I've gotten nothing but refusals from my system to open it.  So what should I do? Here are some screen shots of the error messages I keep getting.

RCT2 Opening issues.png

RCT2 Opening Issues 2.png

Try the launcher to run the game. That should work in almost any case and it keeps the game updated.

Since you have a Program Files (x86) folder, it most likely means your computer is 64-bit and you should use the x64 version (but x86 should work anyways).

• 3 weeks later...

No!,...  -x86 is usually 32-bit. -"x64" is 64 bit. Your computer may be a 64-bit computer and if so you would need to download the 64 bit version of openrct2 or openrct2 launcher. 

How do I know if I have a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 10?
To find the Windows type, do the following:
  1. Click Start and right-click My Computer.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. From the General tab, look at the Windows XP version name listed under System. If the version name contains the text "x64 Edition", your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows XP.

OR:

1. Look under PC for Edition to find out which version and edition of Windows that your PC is running. Look under PC for Version to find out which version of Windows 10 your PC is running. Look under PC for System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.

sometimes a computer's processor is called: "something 64", or "something 32, or 86" you usually have to ignore this and go by the rule above by checking what version of windows you are running, (x64 or x86) (64bit, or 32-bit) (windows 10 64-bit x64, or windows 10 32-bit x86).

Edited by joshmarsilio
1 hour ago, joshmarsilio said:

No!,...  -x86 is usually 32-bit. -"x64" is 64 bit. Your computer may be a 64-bit computer and if so you would need to download the 64 bit version of openrct2 or openrct2 launcher.

I believe that what Jensj was trying to say is that if it were a 32-bit computer, "Program Files(x86)" would just be called "Program Files" since it would be the only one. The name implies there is another "Program Files" folder for 64-bit programs, and the computer is using 64-bit Windows.

If in doubt, the 32-bit version should work on a 64-bit computer/OS, so that's the one to go for if you're unsure. Only if it was the other way round would there be an issue (as in trying to run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit computer).

From the top screenshot, it looks like you're trying to access the .exe from inside a zipped folder. This is most likely why it can't access the file. You need to extract the folder's contents first before you can run the program.

Edited by TheMathsGod
Minor grammar wierdness
On 5/25/2018 at 14:17, jensj12 said:

Since you have a Program Files (x86) folder, it most likely means your computer is 64-bit and you should use the x64 version (but x86 should work anyways).

okay i understand why he said that now.

Edited by joshmarsilio