Some Ideas I want to share!

Hello, some Ideas I wann to share:

1. Smooth steep to flat track pieces for the multidimensional coaster like on the giga coaster usw.

2. Zero G Stalls for the Giga Coaster, the Single Rail and the hybrid coaster

3. Zero G Rolls for the b&m coaster track

4. Turns, Inversions and chainlifts for the Impuls Coaster to build gerstlauer infinity inverted coasters and Volcano the blast coaster styled coasters

5. Diagonal Inversions in general, maybe for the start only the loop

6. LSM magnetic fins on the lim coaster to build next gen vekomas

7. Dessert styled entrance and exit buildings

8. Beyond vertical Drops 

9. Spiral Lifthill pieces for the wooden coaster 

10. Tilt Tracks to build tilt coasters

Thats it for now, these are just ideas, I don't know if some of these would even work9_9

Edited by BEplayer
  • Awesome 1
23 hours ago, BEplayer said:

Yes, of course but I meant with that that you actually can see the chainlift. Also for scenario play where you don't use cheats.

No need to be rude, it was a simple question. And how is the availability of chainlift on any track piece different to your suggestion of having it for a specific coaster type, scenario play or not ? It's a feature that was added, it's there whether you have cheats on or not, doesn't mean you have to use it.

As for visual aesthetics, a lot of things don't show as they'd probably over tax the game engine (I'm not a Dev or anything close to a software person). The game was released nearly 25 years ago, and these guys are doing an amazing job out of their own passion for the game.

As far as I know, you could make some of the cosmetic stuff you'd like, but I have no idea how or what software you'd need to do it.

• Useful 1

The problem with most track pieces is the artwork required for it. A chainlift isn't just added to a track piece, it's a whole new track piece with its own artwork. The zero-g rolls that currently exist were added by someone who put in a lot of work to get the graphics right, which is a very tedious task. New track pieces will be added to coasters when there is a sufficient audience for it and someone does the artwork (it has to match the existing artwork as well, which I think is the biggest issue). Getting currently non-existing pieces to work (such as beyond vertical drops) is the 'easy' part.

So the idea is there, it's just a ton of work and therefore takes time (for an open source project, that means years).

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jensj12 said:

A chainlift isn't just added to a track piece, it's a whole new track piece with its own artwork

It's not a new track piece, it's a flag - which is why there's a cheat to put chainlift on every track piece, they didn't add hundreds of new track pieces to make that work (and also why there's no cheat to put brakes on every track piece, because those are separate pieces).

All you need to implement this are the sprites. If you are looking to add lift sprites to a piece that the ride already has but doesn't normally allow lifts on, you can create these by editing the existing sprite, so there's no need to create 3D models or try and get shading to match like you would have to do for a new track piece - you just need to take the existing sprite and draw a lift on it (exception would be the looping or bobsled coaster, whose lift sprites look completely different from the non lift pieces).

I'm pretty sure spiral lift sprites for the wooden coaster might already have been tried by somebody ... I vaguely recall seeing something like that. But I'm pretty sure it was adding lift sprites to the standard unbanked sloped turn pieces (like the junior coaster has) - the actual spiral lift piece, which has a shallower slope, would be a lot harder to make sprites for because that would have to be made from scratch.

it has to match the existing artwork as well, which I think is the biggest issue

This is an issue if you're looking to create new sprites for a vanilla ride type that has yet to get any new pieces (or has new pieces that were hand drawn, like the log flume).

Ride types that were created for OpenRCT2 or have already had new pieces added by me, are easy to make new sprites for since you can just use the same models. In particular, any newly added track piece can be easily be made available on the giga track now. The LIM coaster is a bit iffy, because have a model but it doesn't match on diagonals, so I think a better one is needed to give the LIM track any new diagonal sprites.

Getting currently non-existing pieces to work (such as beyond vertical drops) is the 'easy' part.

No, it's not easy. You have to create new paint code, and getting it to draw correctly without glitching takes a ton of trial and error, I think it's actually usually a lot more work to get a brand new track piece working on one of the OpenRCT2 specific ride types, than to add an existing track piece to a vanilla track, but it does depend on the track piece you are adding (e.g sloped brakes would be a  very easy thing to add, like it would probably only take an hour).

6 hours ago, ExCrafty said:

As for visual aesthetics, a lot of things don't show as they'd probably over tax the game engine

No, they don't show because the sprites don't exist to show

• Like 1
  • Informative 1