Some "errors" to correct in future versions

Hello,

I've found some "errors" in the game, that cause that the game is completely unrealistic.

- Guests ignore the vertical G's. You can build a coaster with a drop from a very high height into a vertical loop, so you have 20+ vertical G's, but the ride stats is still okay, and the guests come out alive and happy.

- ALL guests can't swim. Of course, in reality some people also cannot swim...but only SOME people.

- ALL guests obey the "No Entry" signs. It would be more realistic, if a few guests - perhaps 0,5 or 1 % - would ignore them.

- People always come alone into the park. In reality, this doesn't really happen. They come with friends, family, a travel group or a school class.

Perhaps, these errors can be written on the "To Do List" a future version of OpenRCT2....

• Dislike 2

(Open)RCT2 is a game, not a realistic simulation. Adding realism is not necessarily bad, but it has to fit in the game.

1. The penalty for deadly G-forces could indeed be increased, but one has to think of the blocky structure of the game, sometimes making it impossible to increase the slope gently enough to keep the G's reasonable (especially with vertical drop coaster).
  2. Theoretically possible, but requires a lot of work (both guest sprites and swimming logic). After all these years, many players expect peeps to drown and make fun of it. Changing that is very unlikely.
  3. In reality, places guests are not allowed to go are well-hidden and/or locked. Guests don't go there, maybe one guest a year (or one in a million). Won't happen (maybe as plugin, if that's possible).
  4. Not gonna happen, would require as much work as making a new game.
  • Like 1

Those things mentioned certainly aren't "errors" in my opinion. I forget when RCT was originally released, but it was certainly before complex AIs for games were around, let alone useable in this type of game.

There's a lot of things I think are missing or could be different in the game, but I for one wouldn't consider their lack as errors. But then, that's just my opinion.

• 6 months later...

Ride stats need to be more realistic, penalties for inversions, drops and long ride tracks aren't realistic and that means it's not as enjoyable making coasters in RCT 2 for me.

Maybe all the currency values could be altered too, so that everything more closely relates to real world prices (millions instead of thousands for coasters for example)?

If Rollercoaster Tycoon (in whatever form) was an accurate "simulator" then any stats would only be estimations (which they are). And any true ratings would be relying totally on guest's opinions. And I suspect that type of guest AI would be a lot more complex than it is currently. I honestly don't understand how you can say stats aren't "realistic", end of the day, this is only a GAME, not a true design program. It's a fairly simplistic construction simulator too. All isometric, with limited track pieces, and limited styles.

All this can change with the plethora of plug-ins and add-ons around.

I'm not trying to be nasty or rude but, if you're after "realism" is this the right game for you ? I've played many games over my life, quite a few sounded great but once I played them for a reasonable length of time I found they just weren't for me, the same goes for everybody I'd say. Many aspects of this game frustrate me frequently, but I still enjoy purely designing tracks and seeing if I can get them to NOT have any red stats.  :)

• Like 1

Before OpenRCT 2 came along, I wouldn't have questioned the stat calculations in the game. It's only because I've seen the possibilities that I mention this. It's partly down to the fact that I've seen many people complain about recreating real-life rides and the stats being terrible, even though in real life the ride is great. 

I still remember going to school and taking floppy disks with me so I could download a coaster design from the internet and take it home to install on my PC at home (we didn't even have dial up at that point). I loves these games when they came out and they still have a special place in my heart, I just hope that someone out there who feels the same way as me about the stats and is more capable than I am is able to do something about it.

• Like 1
On 23/03/2022 at 14:54, XXX said:

Hello,

I've found some "errors" in the game, that cause that the game is completely unrealistic.

- Guests ignore the vertical G's. You can build a coaster with a drop from a very high height into a vertical loop, so you have 20+ vertical G's, but the ride stats is still okay, and the guests come out alive and happy.

- ALL guests can't swim. Of course, in reality some people also cannot swim...but only SOME people.

- ALL guests obey the "No Entry" signs. It would be more realistic, if a few guests - perhaps 0,5 or 1 % - would ignore them.

- People always come alone into the park. In reality, this doesn't really happen. They come with friends, family, a travel group or a school class.

Perhaps, these errors can be written on the "To Do List" a future version of OpenRCT2....

I'm sorry, but they aren't errors!

On 23/03/2022 at 13:54, XXX said:

The G forces are calculated completely wrong anyway, so the values given by the game are meaningless. The stat calculation could use a total overhaul.

• Like 1