A little help please

282A - Hyper-Intensive Harbor 2016-09-01 20-08-12.pngI am trying to build a flying coaster that leaves the station going flat (yellow) with NO lift hill and when it reaches a point (red) becomes a powered launch.

I have tried everything I know but I am missing something. Disable clearance checks and Disable support limits are both checked. The yellow is my main track and I have merged the red section with it. The trains travel from one section to another with no problems. You are just looking at the part of the track I am having trouble with - yellow is a complete BLOCKED circuit. Here is what I have tried.

1. Set yellow as boat ride and red as both Powered launch both with and without passing station also powered block mode - trains just move slowly from section to section

2. Set yellow as Powered launch and red as boat ride - trains accelerate FROM the station and complete the entire circuit.

3. Set red as Powered launch and yellow as boat ride - error red is not a complete circuit

I don't normally cuss but WTF!

Edited by CharlieP

Red doesn't actually have to be a different coaster for this. Just build the flat track as chain hill pieces. Set the chain hill speed on the flying coaster to a high value using the unlock operating limits cheat. Even if the chain lift were on a separate track, it would still use the value for which the train being launched is assigned, e.g. if the yellow coaster had a chain hill speed of 34, even on red's chain hill the yellow coaster's train would travel at 34 mph on that chain hill.

• Like 1

A chain lift is really the only easy way to do this - powered launch mode only works if the launch is straight from the station, and changing the operating mode of a track you merge onto has no effect, only the operating mode of ride the trains belong to matters.

There is no reason you can't set the lift speed on the flying coaster, but there isn't a cheat to do it - this appears to be an omission. "Unlock operating limits" disables the limit on the speed, but it won't make it adjustable if it wasn't before (I think it probably should). You could try switching the track to lay down coaster, changing the speed and then swapping it back.

Build the station of a ride that allows changing the lift hill speed and set the correct lift hill speed. Use the cheats (allow arbitrary ride type changes) to change the ride type to a flying coaster and you'll have a flying coaster with a fast lift hill (hopefully).

Edited by jensj12

Build a single, level piece of flying coaster track (not station). Change the type to lay-down coaster, then set the chain lift speed, then change the track back to the flying coaster, then proceed to build the rest of the layout. I've tested this, so it definitely works, but I had difficulty with the console command - I had to use the cheat instead which is a bit awkward but functional. The lay down coaster and flying coaster do not have all the same track pieces, so it is unlikely you can successfully switch a finished layout to lay-down track.

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1

Thank you, that works. I had tried changing both a station piece and the whole ride before. No joy on the station piece and the game crashes when doing the whole ride.

I assume (you know what that means) that the speed would be the same as a powered launch speed?

Edited by CharlieP
Just now, CharlieP said:

No joy on the station piece and the game crashes when doing the whole ride.

Because they do not share pieces. Lay down coaster has no inverted station piece of banked turn piece, so to be able to switch the type to lay down and back you have to make sure you've only built pieces that both rides share. The easiest way to be sure of that is to do it before you've built anything.

Just now, CharlieP said:

I assume (you know what that means) that the speed would be the same as a powered launch speed?

Use the "unlock operating limits" cheat to set the chain lift speed to whatever you want. Then build chain lift where you want the launch. Ignore powered launch mode, it's not much good even if you do want to launch straight from the station because of the unrealistically high acceleration.

You'd have to temporarily delete pieces not used on the lay-down track (station, and sloped banked turns) if you wanted to modify it the same way. Making it so all rides can have their chain lift speed edited when operating limits are unlocked doesn't sound difficult - I might try to do that so this workaround isn't needed.

Edited by X7123M3-256