Possible Porting to 64bit?

So, last night my friend and I were playing RCT2 multiplayer, thanks to Open RCT2! And we noticed that the map size was controlled by a 8-bit value (min 0, max 254 (even though 11111111 = 255). 

Him and I thought what if we could re-code some parts of the game, adapt it for running in a 64 bit runtime and increase the capability of some values (such as making the map size value a 16-bit value, allowing map sizes to be at max 65536 x 65536, which probably wouldn't be a thing. Most likely a good max map size would be 2048 at most, 1024 being an optimal Large map).

We know that the map size of 254x254 is big as it is, but we want bigger. 

also having the ability to select ALL rides and stalls would be cool.

This would require almost rewriting most of the code, but I thought it would be nice if possible. I know OpenTTD has a 64bit version, and they are pretty similar, so it may be possible.

Edited by GameWylder

This has to be the most frequently asked question ever.

Increasing these limits is planned for the future, but because it requires the alteration of existing data structures it cannot be done until all the original code has been reverse engineered. When it does happen, it will require that the SV6 file format be changed also because SV6 files are essentially just a compressed version of the game's internal data structures, with the map size limit hardcoded.

This has nothing to do with whether the code is compiled for a 64 or 32 bit target.

• Like 1

From what I understand, Transport Tycoon came out prior to RCT, and RCT started out as a sequel to TT. It's possible that Chris used similar base code for both games. With RCT2 being a bit of an updated version of RCT1.  So who knows, since they already reversed it with OpenTTD, it may be a similar setup.

'at some point' being after the code has been refactored, which will happen after the game has been completely decompiled, so in short: It will take a long time before the limits can be removed. This will also break compatibility with RCT2, but that's not really an issue here.

Also, the maximum map size is based on the tiles you can see. The max is actually 256x256 already (yup, not even 255x255), but the outer edges of the map are black tiles you can't see. They are needed to show the ground under the surface.

While we will reach a point where we can produce 64 bit builds, it is quite possible their performance could be worse than that of 32 bit builds.

There's still plenty of space for improvement for us still in 32 bit land and it's very likely we will first raise the limits and only later on support 64 bit code.