Username Optimizations

YoloSweggLord

Recently, I witnessed a malicious prank on a fellow OpenRCT2 player. Another user, using his username, went on and griefed several servers, giving a bad name to the original user. I have also witnessed, on at least 3 occasions, a player getting banned for griefing, changing his/her name, then re-entering that server only to grief it again.  I think that the username system should be re-optimized to:

1. Allow no more than 1 person at a time to use the same username, and

2. Limit the frequency at which you can change your name.

This could be easily paired with a sign-in system that pairs each user to a unique hidden ID. This ID would make it easier for servers to remember each player's permission group, meaning that someone would keep their current permission group after server resets, disconnects, and crashes.

1 hour ago, YoloSweggLord said:

Yes, I was thinking something along those lines. We shouldn't need a separate account for both the game and the forums.

These forums aren't part of openrct2 at all, it's more of a fansite. If we would make such a login system, it would most likely be part of openrct2.website instead, as this is also the master server.

If there would be a system, it could probably be linked with this website's and other account, such as Github and Facebook, but that's a different story.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, YoloSweggLord said:

1. Allow no more than 1 person at a time to use the same username

That seems to be a bit harder as it needs a server to track the names being used

I think something that maybe can be done is to put (just like on steam and on Windows when you copy files) a number if there is two identical players on the server you're playing on

Example;   Ronron + RonRon (1) + RonRon (2)

I feel that despite this being considered a 'fan site' it might still be better to have the usernames based here rather then requiring all of us who already have names to sign in else where. (Or at least port these account credentials to .website.) I guess this could also mean whoever isin't using a registered account would get a name like "(G) NoAccount :("

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, imlegos said:

I guess this could also mean whoever isin't using a registered account would get a name like "(G) NoAccount :("

That gives me an idea. It would be nice to allow playing multiplayer without an account. Just to prevent random griefing, though, add in an option while starting a server that doesn't allow 'anonymous' players.  This would prevent stuff @YoloSweggLord witnessed.  Another note; don't allow multiple usernames to exist (be it registered or unregistered).

The name of this website does give out an official/affiliated vibe with the name "OpenRCT2 Forums" (just putting it out there :D)

Edited by ziscor
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, imlegos said:

I guess this could also mean whoever isin't using a registered account would get a name like "(G) NoAccount :("

I should probably note that what i mean here is that the characters of (G) would be added before whatever name the user chose. Also, if we are to be able to retain our ability to set a name when logged in, i'd suggest having the ability to view the original name in the MP tab by clicking on the user's name in the list (This would be a tab in the user view window that results from clicking on the name in the list)

This morning, I saw the impersonator, at least I think it was him. He was impersonating me this time though. If you see me in the next few days, check to make sure it's really me. I can't set up any security questions i the forums since it's possible the impersonator is on the forums. IDK just ask me the name of a certain ride I made in the past or something.

• 5 months later...