Understanding Simulation in RCT2

hi guys! I'm looking to understand the simulation system in RCT2. Here are the things to focus on:

RCT2 Manual:
1. Provide transport rides from point to point (every point near a ride) around the park. This will lighten the traffic load on your path system and give tired guests an alternative to walking.
- Does this mean that a tired guest prefers using transport rides over walking? At what degree? What is the range of such action? Do they follow some kind of path markers in the simulation? Let's say the guest is far away from train station, does this mean he'll gravitate towards it when tiered?

2. Elevated rides allow your guests to see other rides and areas of the park, which can spark interest in visiting them.
- Okay, I need to know more about this. So me building ferris wheel is letting visitors see other attractions? Can someone please help picture this within simulation? What do they see? Is it like a range of sorts? Are the attractions then marked for them in % of desirability. Are the rides marked in green, red and yellow and kept as a log within each guest?

This completely warped my idea of the game and up until yesterday I avoided both transpiration and gentle rides. I also found out that gentle rides build confidence for bigger rides. 🤯

3. Coater Sim.
Can someone help explain the following please: When I have a fast coaster going down hill then entering banked turn, how does that compare when let's say I go down hill, bring it up and once the coaster looses some momentum I do the banked turn then? I can't figure this one out with how intensely stat works. I feel like everything I build looks like a smooth exciting ride that when stats goes something like 9 intensity, 5 excitement, 4.44 vomiting experience. Looking at pre-builds then, tiny structure and absolute spaghetti sauce with excitement rating 7.9. How do you understand the track simulation?

4. Lastly, Covered rides are more popular when it’s raining.

Does this apply to anything underground? What about scenery objects for example digging a pit and making roof over a ride to cover it. what about station platform, covered and uncovered does that do anything?

Please share your thoughts, tips or maybe even advance technique that's not everyone knows.

Thank you!

Edited by AM7655
Spelling
8 minutes ago, AM7655 said:

Does this mean that a tired guests prefers using transport rides over walking? At what degree? What is the range of such action? Do they follow some kind of path markers in the simulation? Let's say the guest is far away from a train station, does this mean he'll gravitate towards it when tiered?

No, no, and no. Guests treat transport rides as any other ride, they will not use them to help get where they're going and I don't believe that gravitate to them when tired. The only difference I know of is that guests who are "leaving the park" will still ride transport rides (a change made in OpenRCT2, to help prevent guests becoming trapped in areas of the park that are only accessible by transport ride).

10 minutes ago, AM7655 said:

- Okay I need to know more about this. So me building ferris wheel is letting visitors see other attractions? Can someone please help picture this within simulation? What do they see? Is it like a range of sorts? Are the attractions then marked with %, marked in green, red and yellow and logged within each guest?

Taller rides can be seen from further away, that's true, I don't think tall rides help guests see other rides, though I'm not 100% sure of that.

20 minutes ago, AM7655 said:

Does that apply to anything underground; does scenery objects help; what about station platform, covered and uncovered?

Underground does count, IIRC a certain percentage of tiles must be covered (maybe 40%?). I am not sure if covered rides are necessarily more popular in the rain than they would otherwise be, but uncovered rides are very unpopular in the rain.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Covered / uncovered rides. If it rains and a ride doesn't have cover along the queue line, guests won't queue. They'll do the "I'm not going on "X" while it's raining". But, if they're already in the queue, they won't leave it. Well, that's what I've found anyway.

In my opinion, the fluff text in the manuals doesn't really have any bearing on the game, it's more-or-less stateing real world stuff.

The "AI" for the peeps isn't and never was that "smart". The devs have certainly improved it with OpenRCT2, but it certainly isn't even close to real world.

Personaly, I wish both guests and workers would use transport rides as ..... transport around the parks, that would possibly make larger maps less annoying.

Guests gravitate to the newest and highest excitement rating rides, it seems to ignore intensity and naesia to a point. I've had splash boats rides with around 13 excitement, and taking 20-ish minutes to complete, but guests will still queue blindly, and complain that they want to get off the ride, then do thier little jump for joy at the exit.  :)

• Awesome 1

@ExCrafty lol that's amazing! I don't think I've had a ride with excitement above 7. I am getting better tho with each scenario! And thank you for this insight on covered/uncovered queue. Do you know how that applies to ride station itself? For example default is uncovered and picking log cabin is. Does that play any determining role? OR let's say my whole station is a facility made out of scenery pieces, but my queue is just a uncovered path. Would that still trigger "I'm not going on "X" while it's raining"? This is really fun stuff to know. My only struggle is that in playing scenarios and having 3 year limit sometimes isn't enough to get to that level of building. I enjoy it nonetheless. It defiantly adds some challenge, but having all of these new insights help me optimize my park, rides and boost excitement rating plus ridership. Like for example building tunnels for rides or having tracks intersect with some parts crossing water and adding scenery objects etc. I didn't know any of this stuff. Past month I beat about 15 scenarios from RCT. I am learning track layouts from some of those coasters that are in the park as you starts. I also have some that people shared here and I am studying each one to get sense of speed, turns, length. So far there's this second wooden caster that shows up early in the game. The one that let's you steep dive with a turn. Thats my go to ride right now. I love how it flows and take all that I am learning to create this Bolder Dash + Vengeance immersive smooth ride. I just want to learn more about the sim to understand slightly more how the game works. This can help me experiment and create better parks, experiences even in span of 2-3 years or whatever the object is.  

Edited by AM7655
  • Like 1

I've found that I can't get a bad rating on a Splash Boats track, especially if it's going down from max land height.  :)

As for how scenery effects ride stats. Almost all of my parks have little to no "scenery" other than the ride itself. Unless it comes with a prebuilt.

For me, the game is called ROLLERCOASTER tycoon, with designing and building coasters the thing. Obviously, others have a different perspective, and that's great. :)

If you want to see stuff that may help you, I find that Marcel Vos videos are VERY helpful. Particularily with how different track pieces change stats and optimization.

• Winner 1

@ExCrafty brotherman you are god. thank you for introducing me to Marcel Vos. I've been binge watching his videos starting from the oldest. I am absolutely blown away at the knowledge he possesses about the game and how in depth this game really is. This is exactly what I was looking for!

I am going to take a look at your ride later. I am still curious how covered/uncovered situation works. I am hoping MV covers that in his videos. I might send him request incase not.

Thank you again, this is amazing stuff!

Edited by AM7655
  • Like 1