Bug: Not able to save custom track design

OpenRCT2, v0.4.3 (285e0fc on master) provided by GitHub

Windows 10, 64-bit

I encounter problem in saving the custom design roller coaster in track design. It shows "Can't save track design. Track desgin elements not suppoted by track design format". Is it related to the new track pieces in single-rail roller coaster added in v0.4.3?

No cheats were enabled.

image.png

There have been a few posts about this, and the guys have said the same thing each time. The error message you get is correct, those track pieces can't be saved as yet. I believe they are working on it, along with just a few other things. I for one want to see them able to be saved also. But these things take time.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but as you may already know, they're working on things as best they can.

• Informative 1

I'd been thinking about posting 'an advisory' some time ago: gee, I guess I should have done, sorry.

My best understanding is that the (pre-)existing Track-Save format is not capable of accepting any new (read, 'more') elements (i.e. the associated table is already full).

If I'd posted earlier, I'd have recommended Track-Designing your coaster with new elements, get it sorted, then swap-out the special elements for space-filler-only elements that still permit the coaster to function, maybe recolor those elements for easy-reversion, Save the now-savable design; you'll be able to place your coaster into any scenario, perform a quick swap-in of the new elements, and proceed.

A different way to do this involves Sadret's Scenery Manager Plug-In (NB: you can't access Plug-Ins from the Track Designer ...). It's a trifle arcane but, if anyone is interested, I can explain.

I must, 'speaking knowledgably', at least sort-of, sound like I'm part of the OpenRCT2 dev team: I'm not; I'm just an old geek who knows a fair amount of purely-esoteric stuff about how programing must work.

Good Luck,

Typhoon

• 10 months later...
On 17/12/2022 at 22:46, RollerCoasterTyphoon said:

If I'd posted earlier, I'd have recommended Track-Designing your coaster with new elements, get it sorted, then swap-out the special elements for space-filler-only elements that still permit the coaster to function, maybe recolor those elements for easy-reversion, Save the now-savable design; you'll be able to place your coaster into any scenario, perform a quick swap-in of the new elements, and proceed.

So it is possible to add the missing tiles within the game itself? Thats interesting. Is there a guide line what is not working on which coaster, yet? Did not find it in search.

Version: OpenRCT2, v0.4.6 (b40b5da) provided by GitHub

Thanks 

Edited by Ruyven
1 hour ago, Ruyven said:

Is there a guide line what is not working on which coaster, yet? Did not find it in search.

The following pieces are new and will not be saved in track designs:

• Diagonal brakes
  • Large corkscrews
  • Medium half loops
  • Zero G rolls (small or large)
  • Diagonal banked sloped track
  • Large 45 degree sloped turns

The large half loops on the flying coaster also won't save, but only on the flying coaster - large half loops on all other ride types will work fine.

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
On 07/11/2023 at 10:22, Ruyven said:

So it is possible to add the missing tiles within the game itself? Thats interesting. Is there a guide line what is not working on which coaster, yet? Did not find it in search.

Version: OpenRCT2, v0.4.6 (b40b5da) provided by GitHub

Thanks 

I do not understand your question, and I apologize. I do want to help: I'll offer some explanation; I'll try to be succinct but, I have no knowledge of your expertise with programming, so some of this might be tedious.

OpenRCT2 uses the assets of the original RCT2, including the file formats: when you save a track design, it will be the .td6 file format used by the original RCT2; saving a scenario/park formerly also used the original RCT2 .sv6 file format, but OpenRCT2's team developed and implemented a new .park format; <- that was about a year ago, IIRC.

The .park format permitted saving an attraction that used the new track elements that OpenRCT2 has made available, but only when deployed in a scenario/park: saving a track design would still use RCT2's original .td6 file format; that .td6 format "does not know what to do" with the new track pieces.

My earlier post glossed-over some possible work-arounds:

1. Make a coaster you like, make sure it will work as desired, then: go back to construction and replace "unsavable" track pieces with savable "filler" track pieces (um, make sure the modified design still works ...); it will save as .td6 and, when you want to place it in a park, you go back to construction and swap-in your desired track pieces; recolor the bits that you'll want to replace to make it easy to remember, if you like.

X7123M3-256 has offered a list of new track pieces that will not save as .td6; if unsure about anything, RCTwiki can help you identify "unsavable" track elements.

2. Using Sadret's Scenery Manager plug-in: yuck, because this is more complex; please, I'm talking about this option because of this,

https://forums.openrct2.org/topic/6135-google-drive-video-link-elevator-lift-switch-track-mine-train-block-sectioned

I will apologize: I don't want to delve into this right now, because of the complexity (actually, easy to do, tedious to explain); also, it's not about new track elements, but how to "copy & paste" a roller coaster that burrows into a mountain (itself, an "invalid .td6 issue").

If I've screwed-up, or you want more information, please inform me. Cheers! and, Good Luck!

Typhoon

• Like 1

Hi Typhoon,

thanks and I think you eplained my question with point one.

Only one point to be really sure ;)

--quote--

when you want to place it in a park,

--unquote--

I must not create a scenario to use --quote-- but only when deployed in a scenario/park: --unquote-- a normal park which comes as RCT2 standard scenario is enough? Right?

Thanks for your detailed explanation

Hi Ruyven,

It does seem to me like you understand how to proceed: I remain gratified that I could help.

Just now, though, you asked something that piqued my interest: for you, also anyone else, I can say a little more ...

You do not have to create a brand-new scenario for any of this to work: OpenRCT2 will open both .sv6 and .park file formats (but any subsequent savegame will be .park, NOT .sv6); launch a brand-new Alton Towers or Forest Frontiers or Crazy Castle and you will be able to use the new track elements; of course, any such Scenario/Savegame would have to have the appropriate coaster type available (i.e. if I've got a Looping Coaster of my own design that uses new track, I could use it at the very beginning of Diamond Heights but, if I'm playing a new Forest Frontiers, I'll have to wait for Research to unlock the Looping Coaster).

So, this is what piqued my interest, what everyone should also know: visit New Element, RCTgo, Reddit's RCT, RCTspace, a link from some nice person's YouTube video, whatever ...

OpenRCT2 will open the .sv6 files, the .td6 files, and the .sc6 files (<- that's the file format for Scenarios which, hitherto, has remained unmentioned) with no problems. Make sure you place any such content in the proper OpenRCT2 folder and, um, have fun! .sv6/.park needs to go into "save", .td6 needs to go into "track", .sc6 needs to go into "scenario".

Cheers!

Typhoon

• Informative 1