Extract game files from retail CD on Linux Mint

https://openrct2.org/quickstart/extract-rct2-files/linux

I simply don't understand how to get the file paths needed to extract the game files from the retail CD on Linux Mint.

The instructions say

Retail CD version

If you have the retail installer, you'll need unshield to extract it. There may be a package available for your distribution, or build from source (grab the source from the link, then run cmake . && make).

Once you have unshield, run the following commands, replacing PATH-TO-EXTRACT-FILES-TO and INSTALLER-LOCATION appropriately.

unshield -g Minimum -d "PATH-TO-EXTRACT-FILES-TO" x "INSTALLER-LOCATION/data1.hdr"
cp -R "$INSTALLDIR/Data/" "$EXTRACTDIR/Minimum/Data"
mv "$EXTRACTDIR/Minimum" "$EXTRACTDIR/RCT2"

I have unshield installed and when I tried putting what I thought the file paths were into the terminal it only extracted 117MB of data to the folder then gave me an error.

I have looked for a video tutorial and searched for info, but I'm stumped.  Does this even work on Linux or should I just give up?

There is also no mention on how to extract the expansion pack files either.

I can download Open RCT2 from the Linux mint software manager, so I assume it works on Linux, but I haven't got that far yet, as I can't figure out how to get the files extracted from the CD.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks :)

Ok well as this isn't working I installed the game via WINE, but openrct2 wont let me browse to the folder where WINE installed it. I have unhidden the files and it just wont let me browse to the location.

I tried setting the location via the terminal but it just gives an error.

set-rct2 /home/owner/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Infogrames/RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

How is this meant to work on Linux? 

Edited by Eric23
added more info
12 hours ago, zaxcav said:

Since the folder names include spaces and other special characters you need to add quotes:

set-rct2 "/home/owner/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Infogrames/RollerCoaster Tycoon 2"

Thanks, but sadly this did not work either :(

owner@owner-fast:~$ set-rct2 "/home/owner/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Infogrames/RollerCoaster Tycoon 2"
set-rct2: command not found
owner@owner-fast:~$ openrct2 set-rct2 "/home/owner/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Infogrames/RollerCoaster Tycoon 2"
openrct2: command not found

As Openrct2 has a Linux version I assume getting the game to run on Linux is possible?

Its weird that if I start Openrct2 via the menu icon it prompts me to pick the install location by browsing to the location on my SSD, but it won't let me access the whole SSD to get to the location.

As you see from the file path its in my home/owner/.wine folder but there is nothing shown in this folder other than .var and .local

I had to show hidden files just to be able to see them. Its the same deal if I pick other locations. It never shows me the .wine folder anywhere I look.

This is so confusing.

Thank for trying to help

rct2.jpg

19 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

Can you confirm that the RCT2 files are indeed installed under ".wine".

Can you find the RCT2 files using the normal file browser?

Yes, I can find them when searching or browsing to them from the normal file explorer, but the file explorer window that Openerct2 opens is different and isn't allowing me to pick from the whole SSD.

Where does Openrct2 want to files to be? clearly it doesn't like where they currently are for some reason.

rct23.png

trc22.png

11 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

Probably the simplest thing to try is use the file browser to move the entire installed RCT2 folder from under ".wine" into your home folder and see whether OpenRCT2 can find it there.

I copied the folder to my home folder and its not showing up. See my first picture posted. The home folder shows nothing until I tick the show hidden files option, then it only shows me .var and .local

it doesn't show me any of my files at all.

6 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

I have tried the instructions from the quickstart page listed in the first post and it does not work for me either (Retail CD from RCT2 Triple Theme Pack) - the archive has no "Minimum" group. Leaving out the "-g Minimum" will extract the files.

This is as described on the Wiki: https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Required-RCT2-files#disc-version

ok, so I will uninstall the game from wine and try extracting using unshield again.

I'm not a pro with the terminal at all, so what should I enter into the terminal?

originally I entered

Original command
unshield -g Minimum -d "/home/owner/programs/rct2" x "/media/owner/SCREENBEAM/data1.hdr"

modified command?
unshield -d "/home/owner/programs/rct2" x "/media/owner/SCREENBEAM/data1.hdr"

I am not sure this will work either as when it asks me to point it to the files there is nothing showing in the home folder to select. (as in my first screen shot)

but maybe the terminal command "openrct2 set-rct2 /path/to/folder" will work.

after extracting using unshield it said this

owner@owner-fast:~$ cp -R "$INSTALLDIR/Data/" "$EXTRACTDIR/Minimum/Data"
cp: cannot stat '/Data/': No such file or directory
owner@owner-fast:~$ mv "$EXTRACTDIR/Minimum" "$EXTRACTDIR/RCT2"

looking at what was extracted afterwards, it doesn't look anything like the files that were there when I installed it with wine.

I can't find the rct2.exe either.

Man this is so hard to figure out.

Thanks for your help though, I would love to be able to play this game again.

rct24.png

Edited by Eric23

Hmm, your installation does indeed have a "Minimum" folder. All the necessary files should be under there.

Can you show what files are in the "Minimum" folder?

BTW, the problem with the listed commands is the parts with "$" (e.g. "$INSTALLDIR") - these are shell variables which presumably are not set, so expand to nothing. The resulting path, after expansion of the shell variables, is not found. So the commands need to be adjusted accordingly to replace the shell variables with the correct path. 

17 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

Hmm, your installation does indeed have a "Minimum" folder. All the necessary files should be under there.

Can you show what files are in the "Minimum" folder?

BTW, the problem with the listed commands is the parts with "$" (e.g. "$INSTALLDIR") - these are shell variables which presumably are not set, so expand to nothing. The resulting path, after expansion of the shell variables, is not found. So the commands need to be adjusted accordingly to replace the shell variables with the correct path. 

Thanks once again, I have no idea about the technical commands. I'm just blindly entering commands hoping for the best at this point.

What I don't understand is why Openrct2 won't let me browse to files in my home folder from the windows it provides.

I tried entering the set file path command in the terminal again but it still won't recognize the command either.

owner@owner-fast:~$ openrct2 set-rct2 "/home/owner/programs/rct2"
owner@owner-fast:~$ openrct2 set-rct2 /home/owner/programs/rct2

EDIT: I have the Gold Edition retail CD that has the wacky worlds expansion on a second disk if that helps.

rct25.png

Edited by Eric23
17 minutes ago, Eric23 said:

Thanks once again, I have no idea about the technical commands. I'm just blindly entering commands hoping for the best at this point.

What I don't understand is why Openrct2 won't let me browse to files in my home folder from the windows it provides.

I don't understand that either. The only possible explanation that comes to mind is a folder permission issue.

17 minutes ago, Eric23 said:

I tried entering the set file path command in the terminal again but it still won't recognize the command either.

owner@owner-fast:~$ openrct2 set-rct2 "/home/owner/programs/rct2"
owner@owner-fast:~$ openrct2 set-rct2 /home/owner/programs/rct2

The message "command not found" indicates that the openrct2 executable is not in your path.

In your case, the correct folder that OpenRCT2" needs is the "Minumum" folder, so the correct command would be:

openrct2 set-rct2 ~/programs/rct2/Minumum

But that will not work if the executable cannot be found.

How did you install OpenRCT2? If I install from the nightly PPA, using the commands in the quickstart guide, it's found in the path.

Entering the command "which openrct2" finds the executable here "/usr/bin/openrct2", for me.

12 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

I don't understand that either. The only possible explanation that comes to mind is a folder permission issue.

The message "command not found" indicates that the openrct2 executable is not in your path.

In your case, the correct folder that OpenRCT2" needs is the "Minumum" folder, so the correct command would be:

openrct2 set-rct2 ~/programs/rct2/Minumum

But that will not work if the executable cannot be found.

How did you install OpenRCT2? If I install from the nightly PPA, using the commands in the quickstart guide, it's found in the path.

Entering the command "which openrct2" finds the executable here "/usr/bin/openrct2", for me.

Originally I installed Openrct2 from the software manager in Linux Mint, but have since entered the command

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openrct2/nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openrct2

I entered which openrct2 in to the terminal and it gave me nothing (see screenshot rct26)

The screenshot also shows that Openrct2 is installed in the menu and clicking on it shows (screenshot rct27) then it shows me (screenshot rct28) so I select the top option and it gives me the useless windows where I can't pick any location. (see first screen shot in this thread)

If I select the bottom option it does let me browse to the location, but it tells me its not the gog version.

At this point I think I should just remove everything and start over. What's the best way to remove the files I extracted from the CD? just delete the folder? or is there a command? Should I uninstall Openrct2 from the software manager too? Then install it again from the terminal?

rct26.png

rct27.png

rct28.png

It looks like you’re running a Flatpak version of OpenRCT2 or something like that. This is not directly handled by us. Flatpak confines applications into a container for security, but it looks like it’s a bit overzealous here. This also explains why "which openrct2" does not give you anything back: there is simply no executable called "openrct2" that your OS can find.

It is, indeed, better to just uninstall OpenRCT2 from the Software Manager and install it from the Terminal. If it works then, you should report this to the people who made the Flatpak version. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, let’s first solve your problem.

Great suggestion from Gymnasiast regarding Flakpak. Looking at the entry in the Software Manager in LinuxMint for OpenRCT2 it is indeed a Flatpak package.

Leave your CD extracted files - they should be ok.

Uninstall OpenRCT2 in the Software Manager.

Install OpenRCT2 using the apt-get commands.

Hopefully that will work.

30 minutes ago, Gymnasiast said:

It looks like you’re running a Flatpak version of OpenRCT2 or something like that. This is not directly handled by us. Flatpak confines applications into a container for security, but it looks like it’s a bit overzealous here. This also explains why "which openrct2" does not give you anything back: there is simply no executable called "openrct2" that your OS can find.

It is, indeed, better to just uninstall OpenRCT2 from the Software Manager and install it from the Terminal. If it works then, you should report this to the people who made the Flatpak version. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, let’s first solve your problem.

Thanks, I did uninstall it from the software manager and installed it again from the terminal. I also removed and extracted the files from the disk again without modifying the command as was suggested above.

This time I was able to browse to the folder without an issue, and the game loaded! Now I just need to figure out how to install the wacky worlds expansion, as I can't see any instructions on how to do that.

Thanks for all the help I'm feeling less stressed now :)

EDIT I also have rct1 on disk that would be good to install too, are there any instructions on how to install that and the wacky world expansion pack too?

Edited by Eric23
4 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

Awesome thanks, I will give that a try once I have figured out how to install the wacky worlds expansion.

I tried to extract wacky worlds to a separate folder using the same command as the base game, only changing the file paths, but I don't know what I'm doing and not surprisingly it didn't work. I have no idea where to extract the files, and I'm just guessing at this point. 

Thanks for all the help though, I would have given up if it wasn't for you guys :)

1 minute ago, Gymnasiast said:

You should merge the Wacky World (and Time Twister, if you have it) files to the same directories as your RCT2 base install. So you merge Data with Data, Scenarios with Scenarios, etcetera.

Sorry I'm not sure how to do that, I can't figure out how to extract the wacky worlds disk at all. Do I use unshield to extract it to the same folder as the base game, and what commands do I need to do that? I tried using the same command as the base game only changing the file path to the CD but it gave me a meaningless error.

Would be nice if Openrct2 would just ask you to point it to the CD and it took the files it wanted and copied them to where ever it needed them. This is really not easy to figure out on Linux if you are just a casual user and not computer literate.

Sorry for being clueless and thanks for putting up with my constant questions.

owner@owner-fast:~$ unshield -g Minimum -d "/home/owner/programs/rct2ww" x "/media/owner/RCT2_WW_EU/data1.hdr"
Cabinet: /media/owner/RCT2_WW_EU/data1.hdr
File group: Minimum
 --------  -------
          0 files

I tried extracting the wacky worlds disk to a separate folder as above but nothing happened, and as I have no clue what anything in the command means I am basically just guessing what needs to be done in order to extract the files. I'm unsure if I should extract to the same folder as the base game as I don't know if it will overwrite the existing files in there. So I thought I should extract it to a separate folder first before copying the files to the base game folder.

Where did I go wrong?

1 hour ago, Eric23 said:
owner@owner-fast:~$ unshield -g Minimum -d "/home/owner/programs/rct2ww" x "/media/owner/RCT2_WW_EU/data1.hdr"
Cabinet: /media/owner/RCT2_WW_EU/data1.hdr
File group: Minimum
 --------  -------
          0 files

I tried extracting the wacky worlds disk to a separate folder as above but nothing happened, and as I have no clue what anything in the command means I am basically just guessing what needs to be done in order to extract the files. I'm unsure if I should extract to the same folder as the base game as I don't know if it will overwrite the existing files in there. So I thought I should extract it to a separate folder first before copying the files to the base game folder.

Where did I go wrong?

I don't have a RCT2WW CD to see what it looks like, but based on what you've pasted above the command used didn't extract anything at all.

Try this to extract the whole CD content:

unshield -d "/home/owner/programs/rct2ww" x "/media/owner/RCT2_WW_EU/data1.hdr"

Once that's done, post a list of the content of the "rct2ww" folder.

Edited by zaxcav
11 minutes ago, zaxcav said:

I don't have a RCT2WW CD to see what it looks like, but based on what you've pasted above the command used didn't extract anything at all.

Try this to extract the whole CD content:

Once that's done, post a list of the content of the "rct2ww" folder.

Thanks for the reply.

This is the contents of the disk before I try and extract it if that will help get the right command to type?

rct29.png

Ok. This command should extract all of the files from the CD:

Once that's done post a list of the extracted files so we can help advise you how to merge them with the RCT base install as Gymnasiast advised above.