Features that should be considered cheats

OpenRCT2 has some features which should be considered cheats (but aren't) and be treated as such, i.e. moved into special and/or secrets menus:

- Disable locked scenarios (strangely, this happens automatically if you enable sorting by diffuclty, so this cheat can “sneak in”)
- Sort attractions by track type, see also: https://openrct2.org/forums/topic/1438-sorting-attractions-by-track-type-is-a-cheat/
- Allow testing of unfinshed tracks

Also, in the options, all cheat-related features which could not be part of the in-game cheat menu (e.g. unlocking scenarios) could maybe go into their own (perhaps hidden) tab.

Locked missions should be locked even if you enable sorting by difficulty. Choosing a different sorting mechanism should not automatically enable a cheat. ;-)

Also, the debugging tools can somewhat act like cheats, so they should be more “hidden” or moved somewhere else.

Open the options menu on the opening page. Select the gears tab.

Uncheck the "cheats" checkbox, this will disable the cheats.

If the checkbox under"Group scenario list by" is selected - change group scenario list by to "Source Game", then uncheck the "Enable unlocking of scenarios". Next change source game back to "Difficulty level".

Disable locked scenarios is an option, not a cheat, and I think it should remain so. The original game does not have a means to lock scenarios and I prefer it that way - I don't see why you should be required to tackle the scenarios in order, though a lot of people did want this feature. Sorting by difficulty shouldn't disable the setting if you have it enabled though, that could be a bug.

Allow testing of unfinished tracks should probably have gone in the cheat menu rather than the options IMO, since at present the vehicles crash if you do this. No test crashes fixes that problem but should probably remain a console command for now because of the awkward way it is implemented (double closing and retesting the ride as soon as it crashes), but if that were replaced with something a bit cleaner I think the feature could be enabled by default. RCT3 had this feature and it is useful - it saves time having to build a temporary connection to the station so you can check what you've built so far.

18 minutes ago, Wuzzy said:

Also, in the options, all cheat-related features which could not be part of the in-game cheat menu (e.g. unlocking scenarios) could maybe go into their own (perhaps hidden) tab.

Cheats and debugging tools are already in their own tab and you can hide both in the options if you want to

27 minutes ago, Wuzzy said:

Also, the debugging tools can somewhat act like cheats, so they should be more “hidden” or moved somewhere else.

The debugging tools are cheats, and I don't know how useful they really are for debugging. I think the menu would be better named "hacks", but I don't think it should be merged with the cheat menu as the debug tools let you edit the map data in ways that can crash the game or cause problems if not used carefully, whereas cheats generally have fewer side effects and do something more specific. I think this distinction is significant.

CharlieP, you are missing the point completely. This was not a request for support.

The original game does not have a means to lock scenarios and I prefer it that way.

Oh, really? Oops, then I take that back, haha. But the feature should at least be consistent so it works for both sorting modes.

I am using v0.4.0, by the way.

The cheats/debugging tools menus have been a mess for a while. We plan to reorganise them at some point as almost all of the debugging tools are really hacks and not for debugging. As for locking scenarios with changes in ordering that sounds like a bug. Testing unfinished coasters really needs to be rewritten as it was done back when the vehicle update code wasn't properly understood. 

• Like 1