Improved "Save Track Design with Scenery" feature

When this feature returns in the future completely devoid of bugs, I would love for it to get some improvements which would make for selecting the scenery to be saved with the track design simpler.

*Scenery cluster selection: Something like how Clear Scenery works; you get a box that varies by size that you scroll over tiles on the ground to automatically select all the scenery in them. Likewise there'd be an option to deselect them using the same method. It'd be especially useful if the exit path from a design's ride is inside a building and "Select Nearby Scenery" doesn't reach it.

*Select nearby paths: If for some reason you just want the paths from a ride but not the scenery, this would select only the ride's queue line and any path tiles adjacent to it.

*Disable selection of trees: You'd use this if a certain ride was built through tons of trees that you don't want to save with the track design, so you don't have to remove them by hand after selecting "Select nearby scenery". In a nutshell it excludes anything from the "Tree" tab when selecting objects.

*Height Check: Used mainly for rides built on inclines/underground to allow for larger heights, this would mostly check if the ride could be built on a completely flat surface without editing the landscape once the design is saved and loaded elseware.

*Scenery Count: How much scenery objects are currently selected, shown along with the cap.

Edited by Superjustinbros
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like ideas 1 (scenery cluster selection) and 3 (disable tree selection) they would make saving rides much easier.

Does anyone know exactly what the maximum scenery count when saving a ride is and does it have anything to do with how many tiles are used to build the coaster?

• 1 month later...

I have no idea how to even save a ride/coaster with scenery...when I create a coaster in a scenario/park, I see the save option, but no option to save with scenery. Also, in the roller coaster designer and track design manager (what's the difference between the two?), there's no option to add any scenery in either. 

Any help please, I would appreciate it, thanks.

Edited by TCE
Just now, TCE said:

when I create a coaster in a scenario/park, I see the save option, but no option to save with scenery.

Should be on the stats page. Your ride needs to be tested and have all stats before you can save, with or without scenery. The save button is a dropdown, so you have to click and hold to get the "save with scenery" option. Then you select the scenery objects that should be included by clicking on them, and/or by clicking the "select nearby scenery button". There are known issues with saving designs that are very spread out, built high in the air, or have large numbers of scenery items. I suspect this is a limit inherent to the save format, but I do not know for sure.

Just now, TCE said:

Also, in the roller coaster designer and track design manager (what's the difference between the two?)

The roller coaster designer is a sandbox for designing rollercoasters. The track design manager just lists your track designs and lets you rename/delete them. I think I've used the latter maybe twice in all the time I've played RCT2.

Just now, TCE said:

there's no option to add any scenery in either. 

There isn't supposed to be, there wasn't in vanilla either. The rollercoaster designer is really a feature of vanilla that was never removed; now that you can access the object selection window in game it is pretty much redundant. I mostly use the coaster designer as a quick way to test new trains, since it takes fewer clicks to open than a scenario. I rarely use it for designing tracks - I do that in a blank park so I can add scenery.

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Should be on the stats page. Your ride needs to be tested and have all stats before you can save, with or without scenery. The save button is a dropdown, so you have to click and hold to get the "save with scenery" option. Then you select the scenery objects that should be included by clicking on them, and/or by clicking the "select nearby scenery button". There are known issues with saving designs that are very spread out, built high in the air, or have large numbers of scenery items. I suspect this is a limit inherent to the save format, but I do not know for sure.

The roller coaster designer is a sandbox for designing rollercoasters. The track design manager just lists your track designs and lets you rename/delete them. I think I've used the latter maybe twice in all the time I've played RCT2.

There isn't supposed to be, there wasn't in vanilla either. The rollercoaster designer is really a feature of vanilla that was never removed; now that you can access the object selection window in game it is pretty much redundant. I mostly use the coaster designer as a quick way to test new trains, since it takes fewer clicks to open than a scenario. I rarely use it for designing tracks - I do that in a blank park so I can add scenery.

Thanks, man. Appreciate the thoughtful reply. :)

• 2 weeks later...