OpenRCT2 doesn't work

I tried several times to get openRCT to work. It failed every time... I tried the launcher, the zip files, changing windows compatibility mode, running as admin,.. Don't know what to do anymore! Every time this prompt appears, shortly followed by a message from Windows that openRCT doesn't work anymore. 

Untitled-1.jpg.e0ab662126dc4ed98c32241bd

3 hours ago, Gymnasiast said:

You cannot expect help if you don't provide vital information, like your OS version, or where you downloaded your zip files (openrct.net or openrct2.com). Or whether you have RCT2 installed.

Of course I have RCT2 installed. I use windows 8.1 and I downloaded files from here.

7 hours ago, Gymnasiast said:

You cannot expect help if you don't provide vital information, like your OS version, or where you downloaded your zip files (openrct.net or openrct2.com). Or whether you have RCT2 installed.

I saw FredD streaming two days ago and tried helping him then. He's tried most things I could think of (launcher, downloading .zip manually, changing version, running as admin, and maybe some more).

One thing I suggest doing is downloading the source from Githib, building it, and then running it from visual studio to see where it crashes. Visual Studio 2015 is free to use.

On 27-12-2015 at 22:28, Broxzier said:

I saw FredD streaming two days ago and tried helping him then. He's tried most things I could think of (launcher, downloading .zip manually, changing version, running as admin, and maybe some more).

One thing I suggest doing is downloading the source from Githib, building it, and then running it from visual studio to see where it crashes. Visual Studio 2015 is free to use.

I would run with --verbose on first before opening the can of worms that is compiling.

I re-installed RCT2, and then OpenRCT2 worked fine... Hurray!...

Untill I copied all my custom objects back in to my objData folder. OpenRCT2 won't work anymore. Now there's a line in the prompt saying "4773 object added... updating object cache list" and shortly after that it crashes.

Edited by FredD

Hmm, I think that means one of your objects is invalid. I think --verbose will show you which file makes it crash. If it doesn't, you can try adding your custom object in batches of 10 or 20 and test the game each times you've added some. If it crashes, you know the problem lies in one of those 10 or 20 files.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...