Play button in launcher is grey, can't find manual download

I know, it's a bug, where the launcher's play button is greyed out because it detects there's a new version but it's only out for Mac and Linux but not Windows which comes out last. Something like that. I understand that, I know why that's happening. (I wish it would get fixed though, I would think a majority of players would be playing on Windows so this bug affects a lot of people) But the save I want to play requires the newest version because I just played it last night, so I can't play it with the older version of openrct2 that I can open without the launcher. So I went to openrct2.org's download page to manually download the newest develop version because I really want to play this save. I remember the develop version download page used to be just like the release page, where the exe files are right on openrct2.org. https://openrct2.org/downloads/releases/latest like so.

But now the develop download page instead takes you to github, this page here. https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/commit/30e6eb9f089e9059f9abcaf57e7dd8c5c94b9864
Now forgive me for being an idiot, but I always found github to be the most confusing website ever. I can never for the life of me find where the download button is for anything. Where am I supposed to download the exe for the latest develop version? I've been waiting for 6 hours for the play button to go ungrey but it's not happening and I'm getting tired of dealing with this purely because I can't figure out github.

Edited by hopefragment
  • Like 1

I also find GitHub confusing. I suspect that those that use it frequently will be rolling their eyes saying things like "it's right there" "how can you not see it" etc. But since the launcher itself is independent of OpenRCT2 project, it's often an issue. It's a pity there appears to be no way to contact the dev of the launcher either.

I'm currently having exactly the same issue. The launcher isn't updating the game, and when I followed the links for the latest dev version, I couldn't work out what to click either.

Plus, when I tried to open my current save directly I got an error message telling me it contains "invalid data", same message for three different saves prior, but not the older ones than that.

Le Jardin d'Eden 2023-03-07 16-09-08.png

Edited by ExCrafty
Additional Information

Your not going to find a download link on GitHub using the link provided. Usually the download link can be found under the release tab, in this case vacant. The launcher automatically updates to the current build, so in this case if your using the developer’s build, the latest version “c1e5fda” is bricked.

I’m having the same issue as you have right now, so I did some digging and came up with the following solution: Download the latest release build here: https://openrct2.org/downloads/releases/latest. This should also resolve the error message from popping up “contains invalid data”.

Hope this helps, otherwise you just need to be patient with the developers, after all that why the developer’s build is updated so much, to test changes, find problems and ultimately fix them before releasing it on the release built.