Game failing to load becoming frequent.

A bit too frequently now, when the game updates via the launcher it crashes, and a report goes to GitHub. I don't know what goes on from there, as nothing more is heard.

I don't know if it's the launcher, windows, or a game bug. But it is happening atleast once or twice per week now.

The only way I can find to "fix" the problem is to keep downloading and re-installing whatever version is latest from the site.

I have tried to use two different launchers, one has worked great most of the time, as for the other, it appears to support two different games, and I (probably me being dumb) can't get it configured to try using it.

• Like 1

I am now certain it's not the launchers, as I haven't been using one and have been downloading the latest development build each day. Game crashes a few seconds into launch and gives me the option to send data to GitHub (which I do).

For me, the game has been unplayable for nearly a week now.

I don't know what the hell is going on, it's gotten very frustrating.

The crash reports section of GH isn't flooding much more than usual, so I still suspect there's an issue on your side. Can you pinpoint any of the crashes listed HERE as yours? (maybe after sending another one) Seeing there are some recent crashes related to plugins, have you tried running it without any plugins installed?

• Informative 1

I honestly didn't understand much of what is listed there. The only add-ons / plug-ins I have are Benchwarmer, Price Manager, and Cheat Saver. No I hadn't tried that, and I can't remember how or where I got those from. I'll do some more investigating. Thanks for the suggestions.

It wouldn't surprise me that it's not an issue with the game itself, it's been very stable until the past couple of weeks.

Edited by ExCrafty

One thing to try is a fresh install, removing the plugins is just one part of it. As long as there's any way to make the game run, we can try intermediate steps to see where it crashes. So if you're willing to try, rename your entire OpenRCT2 documents folder with all your saves, plugins, custom objects, title sequences, settings etc. If it runs, put it back and find the offending subfolder by renaming some of them. I hope that helps.

• Informative 1

Thanks, I haven't tried that extreme yet, but I'm pretty much there now, so I'll see how that goes.

Something I think I've failed to mention is that if I try launching directly from a saved game, it immediately goes to a BLACK not just blank screen, with the frame rate showing (I have that turned on in the options). Then it crashes. Doesn't matter if it's an auto save or a regular one.

Thanks jensj12 for the suggestions. It was a hard call for me to make :)  Deleting all that stuff, but a fresh install does appear to have worked. Some unexpected differences with the install now though. The scenery objects window now has an infinity symbol tab on the far right, looks like it's got all items in it regardless of any other tabs. Couple of other very minor things, but all in all the game works. And that's the main thing.

• Like 1