Are new coaster types or track pieces going to be in the next release w/ new save format?

(Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to put this.) Simply put, is the next stable release of OpenRCT2 with the new save format going to include any new coaster types, or new track pieces for existing types? (Besides the RMC hybrid and single rail coasters.) I saw a reference to a wooden bobsled, so there might be. I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the next release to try out some ride ideas of mine.

Also - what's the location of the download for the latest development builds (with/without new save format???)?. I looked all over github, but couldn't find any download links for anything, almost certainly due to lack of experience with the site.

Adding new coaster types and a new save format are two separate features, so no. Adding new track pieces requires the new save format, but it requires much more than just that. Information about the new save format (including download links) can be found here. For regular builds, the launcher is recommended (develop branch for latest development builds, currently without new save format).

• Like 1
On 08/09/2021 at 03:44, CSEverett said:

(Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to put this.) Simply put, is the next stable release of OpenRCT2 with the new save format going to include any new coaster types, or new track pieces for existing types?

Very unlikely, no new ride types are being actively worked on as far as I'm aware, and the hybrid and single rail coasters were added by me, and I am not expecting to have anything new ready for the next release.

There definitely won't be new track pieces - those require the new save format so they can't be merged until after the new save format is.

On 08/09/2021 at 09:03, jensj12 said:

but it requires much more than just that

Strictly speaking, it requires a new track design format as well, but I think a temporary solution would be to simply disable saving track designs if the new pieces are used, as many people don't save many track designs and probably wouldn't mind this if it meant the new pieces could be added sooner. I am not sure if the OpenRCT2 developers would be OK with this solution though.

Other than that, new track pieces are very doable with the new save format, I already have several custom track pieces working on the new save format branch.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, TheJay said:

Damn, I love the new hybrid coaster and had a shock when I went to save a track design and it told me "Track elements not supported by track design format". I don't want to lose it, is there anything I can do?

This is because OpenRCT2 currently still uses the old TD6 format for track designs, which cannot handle new elements. You can still save the park with the coaster in it, but if you want to save a track design you need to avoid using the elements which are not supported. Currently, this means the small and large zero G roll, medium half loop, and large corkscrew.

• Like 1