Use scaling instead of zoom when looking at closest view

mkruer

I came across this topic Suggestions to make OpenRCT2 prettier back in April, 2017 The idea was to visually improve the graphics, but at the time I think it was suggested to replace them with higher resolution sprites. Maybe a different approach might be possible as if there is a way to separate the sprite from the UI.

I don't know if this would if freezable and looking for some clarification on the issue.

To make sure we are all on the same page, I am defining;

• Zoom; internal to the game
  • Scale; Add into OpenRCT2 for large monitor support

By default, the zoom levels are

Closet

• Level 4 (64x32 standard sprite)

• Level 3 (32x16 standard sprite)

• Level 2 (16x8 standard sprite)

• Level 1 (8x4 standard sprite)

Farthest

Is there a was a way shift all the levels by one but keep the UI elements default 1:1 based upon the original zoom?

Closet

• Level 4 (64x32 standard sprite) @ 2:1 Zoom

• Level 3 (64x32 standard sprite) @ 1:1 Zoom

• Level 2 (32x16 standard sprite) @1:1 Zoom

• Level 1 (16x8 standard sprite) @1:1 Zoom

• Level 0 (8x4 standard sprite) @1:1 Zoom

Farthest

In the original thread it looks like the UI was the issue in that it somehow tied to the view and is not be its own element. Is this whats happening.

Just now, mkruer said:

In the original thread it looks like the UI was the issue in that it somehow tied to the view and is not be its own element. Is this whats happening.

Yeah, the UI can't be scaled independently but you can scale the whole window if the icons appear too small. It's the "window scale factor" in the options, you can also assign keyboard shortcuts to scale up and down if you want to use it like a zoom.

Edited by X7123M3-256

That seems a bit sketchy, but I do recall that the original RTC was programed in assembly so there was have been some sort of sorcery on the back end. 

RCT only stores the one sprite correct per object and that sprite is then downscale when the zoom goes out correct? So would it be possible to reverse it for the closet zoom to pixel double the sprite instead? This should have the same overall effect as setting the window scale factor to 2x. The only downside to this approach would be that the UI would be very small. The game would be using the full sprite at Zoom level 3 and not 4. Zoom Level 4 would be an 2x upscale of the original sprite

• Level 4 (128x64 standard sprite) @ 2x
  • Level 3 (64x32 standard sprite) @ 1x
  • Level 2 (32x16 standard sprite) @ .5x
  • Level 1 (16x8 standard sprite) @ .25x

Just thinking off the top of my head.

Edited by mkruer