installing in android

It is possible to install OpenRCT2 on Android, but few people do because it's hard to play on a touchscreen. 

The Android port isn't very well maintained because so few people use it, and the last release version I can find with an Android build available is almost two years old, so you might have to compile from source (unless there's a more recent binary out there somewhere). This page has more information, including the correct location for the RCT2 asset files, which will have to be copied onto your device.

thanks!!

The installing of the apk works.

I'm not sure where to copy what folders of rct2 original game.

Canyou look here and tell me what rct2 folder I need to copy to what folder on my android?

https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Android

So to be sure: android dev versions are updated along with windows versions on that page you gave me?

Also: do android versions also support rct1?

Edited by jessicajones

That page you linked is all the information I have as I have not used the Android port. It says to place the RCT2 assets (if you have OpenRCT2 working already, you can look in config.ini to see where these are located - otherwise, it's the folder that contains rct2.exe) in storage/emulated/0/rct2, and the OpenRCT2 data files (i.e g2.dat and the JSON objects) in /storage/emulated/0/openrct2.

The Android version should also support RCT1 as it is exactly the same as the desktop version, but that page doesn't say where the RCT1 assets should be placed. I guess you could try /storage/emulated/0/rct1, but if that doesn't work you can try asking on the Gitter (or wait and see if someone else gets back to you on here).

10 minutes ago, jessicajones said:

why can't the developers include the openrct2 data files inside the android version?

I don't know, I'm not familiar with Android development.

10 minutes ago, jessicajones said:

Does it matter if I copy the x86 or x64 openrct2 data file to android? Will both work?

It doesn't matter, they should be the same - I'm not sure why you would have two copies of the data files in the first place to be honest.

Wait, are you trying to copy the executable?

Edited by X7123M3-256

I think android version doesnot work on android 7.

I copied rct2 files to the right folder and also openrct2  data files to the right folder.

in /storage/emulated/0 is a folder created by openrct2 for android called openrct2-user which contains config.ini

I also copied the full data folder of openrct2 to thiz folder.

config.ini doesnot contain a path to edit for setting rct2 folder or anything

if i run it, the game starts with black screen and ends. Nothing happens.

Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

I don't know, I'm not familiar with Android development.

It doesn't matter, they should be the same - I'm not sure why you would have two copies of the data files in the first place to be honest.

Wait, are you trying to copy the executable?

no, only the full 'data' folder I copy to my android

so openrct2 and openrct2-user have now both a subfolder 'data' which is copied from the windows version

Edited by jessicajones

I don't have a lot of ideas because I've never used the Android version (few people do) and I'm not very familiar with Android either. At this point you are probably better asking on Gitter or waiting for another response on here. 

The only thing I can think of is that you copied the files across incorrectly. Did you copy the `data` folder itself into /storage/emulated/0/openrct2, or did you just copy the contents? I'm not sure which is the right thing to do, honestly, but try both. 

Yes, I would definitely fill in the correct path in config.ini

Edited by X7123M3-256
2 minutes ago, jessicajones said:

The game wants to run and then android says: program has stopped.

That sounds less like missing data files and more like the program just doesn't work. Whether that has to do with your Android version or something else I do not know, I don't think I can really help you much more since I'm only going by what's written on that Github help page. If you don't get another response on here, I would suggest asking on the Gitter.

The first thing I would try to do is try to get a stack trace. I'm not sure how to do that on Android, I guess it involves ADB.

Edited by X7123M3-256
5 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

That sounds less like missing data files and more like the program just doesn't work. Whether that has to do with your Android version or something else I do not know, I don't think I can really help you much more since I'm only going by what's written on that Github help page. If you don't get another response on here, I would suggest asking on the Gitter.

The first thing I would try to do is try to get a stack trace. I'm not sure how to do that on Android, I guess it involves ADB.

I have no knowledge of this ☹️

For anybody trying to install openrct2 on android.

Do these steps:

https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Android

Copy the complete data (this is your openrct2 installation folder) and user data (the folder in Documents) to the correct folders on your android device.

data:

folder: /storage/emulated/0/openrct2 

manually create this folder and make sure the folders 'language', 'object', 'shaders' and 'title' are DIRECTLY inside this folder. Also the file g2.dat.

user data:

folder: /storage/emulated/0/openrct2-user

this folder is created after running openrct2 for the first time. copy the complete contents of your openrct2 subfolder of Documents in windows to this folder

original rct2 game data

folder: /storage/emulated/0/rct2

copy all rct2 folders of the windows installation folder to this folder. this folder also needs to be created manually.

If you want another folder for rct2 files, edit config.ini in /storage/emulated/0/openrct2-user. Look for game_path and insert the wanted path between " " and save the file.

Run the game!

Edited by jessicajones
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...