Pure And Utter Insanity - Please For The Love of God Help

I have been having a very troublesome time with this game recently.

I saw this game off of Vargskelethor's stream and I decided to get it, and I can't open the game no matter what I do.

I installed it default normally, and tried this with and without the launcher; the same exact thing happens.

First, it says it can't find the RCT2 installation directory, it opens up this little window (Browse for Folder) where I go to where it is installed. It tells me that it can't find C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRCT2\Data\g1.dat  I go to where I installed it and I see that g2.dat is there instead (also the folder was called data without a capital D but I doubt it really matters) so I do the only logical thing and rename it to g1.dat  It crashes upon opening. I go to the config folder, read the readme and read the known issues thing to see if they have anything, but they do not. I looked up on this bug but I found nothing. What do I do?

Here is the dump (tried this many times so these are the most recent attempt):

4a09d019-eda0-41cb-8250-4dc90c54619b(2e3500e).dmp

4a09d019-eda0-41cb-8250-4dc90c54619b.sv6

You should also report this on the game's GitHub page (which you can find on the game's main page).  That way, more devs will notice you sooner to help you quicker.  ;)

Where did you get the copy of your original RCT2 (as opposed to OpenRCT2) game?  Did you get it from a CD, brought it from Steam, GOG, or another Internet site that you could download it from, or did you get a "free" copy via Torrent?

@newton27  is correct. The very first and only the first time you run RCT2 the screen will say "Opening RCT2 for the first time" this sets all the folders and opens/places the scenarios and dats in the correct folders. When that is completed - open one of the loaded scenarios to make sure the game loads properly. Close RCT2 and try to OpenRCT2 it will read the ObjData folder and populate the Scenario folder. You should have success and OpenRCT2 should start (Sometimes it takes a few minutes - be patient).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ijustwanttofixabug said:

I go to where I installed it and I see that g2.dat is there instead (also the folder was called data without a capital D but I doubt it really matters) so I do the only logical thing and rename it to g1.dat

You've selected the wrong directory. The directory you need to select is where you installed vanilla RCT2, not where you installed OpenRCT2. g2.dat is used for extra sprites added by the OpenRCT2 project (such as the fast forward button), while g1.dat contains all the base graphics for the game. If you see g2.dat you're in the wrong place - you should expect to see a subdirectory named "Data" containing g1.dat and the sound files, and another subdirectory contained "ObjData" containing all the object files from the game.

• Like 1