I just don't get the launcher downloaded

Hi everyone, I am using a 2017 laptop which doesn't let me play with my old cd-rom anymore. So I found downloading the game to be an excellent solution to this problem. However, I stumbled upon another problem: I just can't get the game to play. I have downloaded several things multiple times but I just don't get in the game. I'm very noob-ish with anything related to computers, downloading and so on. It's just not in my nature and never has been. Being non-native English doesn't help much by understanding the guides which don't really tackle my problem either.

In the beginning if I opened the download it asked me to select a folder for the files but I just couldn't find the folder anywhere. So after looking around on the web I saw advices to download the launcher which I did. Now I am supposed to fill in a certain code but I have no idea where to find this code either - please have a look at the attached file. I am assuming once I get this code right I could get the game started? 

Could anyone be so kind to just try and explain as easily and understandable as possible? I have been trying to get it to work for hours and I just don't know how and it's driving me a bit helpless. Thanks in advance!

image.png

Edited by Tom1999
26 minutes ago, Tom1999 said:

It's in the left above. I do now realise they may be asking for the cd but I can't put it in my laptop. Are there any other ways to get it to work without using the cd?

OpenRCT2 does not ask for the CD, it asks for the path where RCT2 is installed. It looks like you are running vanilla RCT2 and not OpenRCT2.

4 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

OpenRCT2 does not ask for the CD, it asks for the path where RCT2 is installed. It looks like you are running vanilla RCT2 and not OpenRCT2.

OK thanks, how can I run OpenRCT2 instead of vanilla RCT2? I did not recognise any difference

Edit: I think I have been asked for the path before, but I couldn't find it.

Edited by Tom1999
16 minutes ago, Tom1999 said:

"OpenRCT2 needs files of a RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 installation. Select the folder in which the files of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 are present"

Which folder? Where to find this folder?

OK, now you are running OpenRCT2. The folder you need to select is the one where vanilla RCT2 is installed - since you're on Windows, it's probably somewhere in C://Program Files and will most likely be called "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2". You should see the rct2.exe executable (which is not used), and the subfolders "Data" and "ObjData". Searching for these files may help you find the folder.

5 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

OK, now you are running OpenRCT2. The folder you need to select is the one where vanilla RCT2 is installed - since you're on Windows, it's probably somewhere in C://Program Files and will most likely be called "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2". You should see the rct2.exe executable (which is not used), and the subfolders "Data" and "ObjData". Searching for these files may help you find the folder.

Could you maybe add some pictures as in a little tutorial? I have no idea where to find these. Also, should I buy the game online in order to be able to play?

6 minutes ago, Tom1999 said:

I have no idea where to find these

As I said, it's most likely in C://Program Files (x86) if you installed RCT2 with default options. If you can't find it, try searching your hard drive for "rct2.exe" or "g1.dat" as that should take you there. There's not much point me posting pictures of my RCT2 installation as I have it installed somewhere else.

9 minutes ago, Tom1999 said:

Also, should I buy the game online in order to be able to play?

No, the disk version will work fine and there is no difference.