Can I copy and paste scenery into a landscape file?

Hi everyone, me and my friend have a problem.

We were working on a custom scenario about 10 years ago in RCT2.  He had created the landscape and picked all the scenery and ride types but then disaster struck: he reinstalled windows and then discovered he hadn’t backed up his RCT2 files.  Consequently, the landscape is lost and all we have is a saved game.  I can recreate the landscape itself, that’s no problem, but is there some way I can find out from the saved game file code precisely which scenery items he selected and then copy and paste them into the new landscape file?  It would save both of us a lot of hassle and time as we start work on it again.

Edited by Woodpecker
8 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

There's a plugin which allows you to copy and paste scenery here. But if you want to recreate a scenario from a saved game, why not just remove the stuff you don't want and then do "convert saved game to scenario"?

Because I want to enlarge the borders of the park land and the "convert saved game to scenario" trick won't let me do that.  Nor will it let me change what's in the rides list or the research and development tree.

Edited by Woodpecker
Just now, Woodpecker said:

Because I want to enlarge the borders of the park land and the "convert saved game to scenario" trick won't let me do that.  Nor will it let me change what's in the rides list or the research and development tree.

You can edit the map size, land ownership, research list and everything beforehand, then use the "convert saved game to scenario" to turn the final map back into a scenario. You won't be able to edit the map once in the scenario editor but you don't need to if you get it exactly how you want it first.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can load a landscape from a saved game, so you could create a new scenario and then import the map. However, this will remove any rides - if you want to create a scenario that starts with rides already built, converting a saved game to a scenario is the only way I know of.

3 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

You can edit the map size, land ownership, research list and everything beforehand, then use the "convert saved game to scenario" to turn the final map back into a scenario. You won't be able to edit the map once in the scenario editor but you don't need to if you get it exactly how you want it first.

How do I make those changes without going into the scenario editor?  I'm very new to RCT Open so if this is something which is only possible with the mod I have no idea how to do it.

Just now, Woodpecker said:

How do I make those changes without going into the scenario editor?  I'm very new to RCT Open so if this is something which is only possible with the mod I have no idea how to do it.

To edit the map size and/or land ownership, enable "sandbox mode" in the cheat menu and then open the minimap window. This also allows you to place scenery outside of park boundaries.

To edit the available objects, go to "object selection" and to change the invention order, go to "inventions list". These are the same windows you would have in the scenario editor with in the scenario editor.