New to RCT2 in Linux

Hello,

I ran RCT2 in Windows up to Win7, and now run it in Wine on Ubuntu 18.04. Newbie questions:
- Can I run OpenRCT2 natively in Linux without the original Linux RCT2 source?
- If so (running in Linux outside of Wine), what to do with the .gz compressed files?
- Does OpenRCT2 support features from trainers (8cars, Son of Beast - Trams, De-vandalize park, Refresh Park, Water Gardens, Make Guests Happy etc). I suppose some but not all. If so, can those trainers run alongside OpenRCT2 and still work?
- Is there yet any fix to the 256 attractions limit hard-coded into the SV6 filetype?

Edited by d107
1 hour ago, d107 said:

Can I run OpenRCT2 natively in Linux without the original Linux RCT2 source?

What original Linux source? The original RCT2 was never available for Linux and source code has never been released (to my knowledge) - OpenRCT2 is based on disassembled code. As long as you have some version of RCT2 installed you can run OpenRCT2. It is not necessary to use Wine as OpenRCT2 has a native Linux build available (but you can use Wine to install vanilla RCT2, if this is easiest).

1 hour ago, d107 said:

- If so (running in Linux outside of Wine), what to do with the .gz compressed files?

What files are these?

1 hour ago, d107 said:

Does OpenRCT2 support features from trainers (8cars, Son of Beast - Trams, De-vandalize park, Refresh Park, Water Gardens, Make Guests Happy etc). I suppose some but not all. If so, can those trainers run alongside OpenRCT2 and still work?

Most features that trainers had have been implemented as cheats within OpenRCT2. A few are available as plugins (for which you need the lastest develop build as plugin support isn't in the release build). I think there might be one or two that are still not implemented. Trainers will not work with OpenRCT2, however, parks that were hacked using those trainers should do.

1 hour ago, d107 said:

- Is there yet any fix to the 256 attractions limit hard-coded into the SV6 filetype?

There has been work on a new save format, which you can find here. The limits are significantly increased in that version, but it should be considered highly experimental. The file format is still subject to change and there's no guarantee that parks you create with it now will work in a future version, so I would strongly recommend sticking with the develop build for now unless you want to test the new code.

• Like 1
On 25/07/2020 at 15:27, X7123M3-256 said:

Thanks for the reply X7123M3-256!

[d107]    - If so (running in Linux outside of Wine), what to do with the .gz compressed files?

[X7123M3-256] What files are these?

-- I was referring tp the Linux tarballs at https://openrct2.org/downloads/releases/latest. I later used the Quickstart Guide, and got it running with my GOG.com download in Wine.

Since as you earlier said, "The original RCT2 was never available for Linux" ... well, within Linux, RCT2 can only be run in Wine, right?

So what are these tarballs for? We should be downloading it for Windows, whether natively or in Wine? Maybe you could better explain this in the FAQ or Quickstart Guide.

Anyway, great job everyone. I understand the project much better now. RCT2 in 4K, amazing.

Now, if we could get the peeps to say something other than every 20 seconds "It's awfully warm out there", and every 30 seconds, "The more the merrier", well that would be an improvement, haha.

I won't try the Github rework on SV6 yet, though am happy to see that progress is being made there to a stable release sometime.

9 hours ago, d107 said:

Since as you earlier said, "The original RCT2 was never available for Linux" ... well, within Linux, RCT2 can only be run in Wine, right?

So what are these tarballs for? We should be downloading it for Windows, whether natively or in Wine?

If you want to play the original RCT2, then yes, you can only do it through Wine.

OpenRCT2 however runs natively on Linux. Those tarballs are binary builds of OpenRCT2 for Linux - "i686" and "x86-64" refer to 32 and 64 bit x86 processors respectively (I am not sure what "AppImage" means). If you're on a different processor architecture, you will have to compile from source, which you can find here . I believe it has been made to run on the Raspberry Pi, which has an ARM CPU.

Also, some Linux distros may have OpenRCT2 available in their package repositories.

On 26/07/2020 at 03:27, X7123M3-256 said:

There has been work on a new save format, which you can find here. The limits are significantly increased in that version, but it should be considered highly experimental. The file format is still subject to change and there's no guarantee that parks you create with it now will work in a future version, so I would strongly recommend sticking with the develop build for now unless you want to test the new code.

Can someone share a compiled build? Tried following the instructions https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Building-OpenRCT2-on-Windows here but its giving me errors.  

35 minutes ago, AtomicTiberium said:

Can someone share a compiled build? Tried following the instructions https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Building-OpenRCT2-on-Windows here but its giving me errors.  

If you're on Linux, why are you following the Windows build instructions? Try this.

Also note that the CI compiles binary builds of every PR, but these automated builds are currently failing. This means it may be that the code just doesn't compile, in which case you might have to either fix the problem or try an earlier commit. As I said, that branch is still very much a work in progress.

If you want I can have a go at building it later.

Edited by X7123M3-256

If you are using the Stable release, I would recommend simply using the AppImage options.

It is a lot easier not having to worry about dependencies.

You don't get the latest features, but it is still recent enough.

Edited by Ruedii