Diagonal paths?

Found a few mentions of diagonal paths being possible with some workarounds but not yet found how so three questions (which sort of evolved into five!)

Are diagonal paths indeed possible?

Do they work well or can they be buggy (I've seen some custom parks where layout workarounds have broken guest movement or trapped guests in areas they get stuck in so if it doesn't work too well I'd probably leave it).

How do you do them and a thought / other workaround can you also do a jagged normal path and fill it out to look like diagonal path with scenery path triangles. Has anybody made said triangles?

Reason being my current real world inspired project has a LOT of diagonal path irl and it actually looks quite appealing/festive.

Edited by RollerBoaster
why
5 hours ago, RollerBoaster said:

Are diagonal paths indeed possible?

Yes, sort of. You can have a path which has diagonal sprites, but guests still treat it as a normal path (they won't walk along it diagonally). Because it's exactly the same as a normal path except for the sprites, it will not cause issues with the peep AI.

5 hours ago, RollerBoaster said:

How do you do them and a thought / other workaround can you also do a jagged normal path and fill it out to look like diagonal path with scenery path triangles. Has anybody made said triangles?

Yes, that's what most people do. It's far more common than custom paths which have diagonal sprites built in (I've never actually seen the latter, I just know it can be done).

Yes, that's what most people do.

• Informative 1

Thanks - Are there any good dat files for this that you know of - I have a lot of dats but none of those.

It looks optimistic- seem to be plenty on nedesigns - but not sure if they're path path or scenery path but I should be able to find what I need, but if anyone knows of any dats that are tried and tested please share info.

All the diagonal paths I've seen are made using scenery to fill in the gaps on a normal path. You can find some scenery objects like that in the Xtreme97 workbench. It is possible to create a path DAT that has diagonal sprites built in, but I haven't actually seen any. The downside of doing it that way is that it's then impossible to build a sharp corner - the idea is that the diagonal sprite would replace the normal corner sprites, such that a zig-zag path appears as a smooth diagonal. It wouldn't affect how the guests behave, they would still walk in a zig zag fashion.

If I ever make a custom path DAT, then I would probably provide a diagonal version of it, because placing diagonal path scenery objects manually is tedious. But I am currently working on my custom RMC track so I'm not going to do that now.

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1