Animated dat. glitch

Hey guys,

I just had a quick question whether the vanilla RCT2 animated scenery objects glitching has been addressed in ORCT2. There's a well recognized problem that once you place a certain amount of animated scenery (like a water fountain) all the animated scenery will start glitching out.  What will happen is that the animated scenery will become still (aka, not animated) scenery unless you're scrolling through the map.  Although I do not know the exact number of animated scenery that needs to be placed in order for this to occur, I know it's a lot (1000+?).  Although this might seem like a lot at first glance, a single well designed waterfall with rapids at the top and bottom can comprise of 30-40 animated scenery objects.  This is obviously a large problem for those of us making larger-sized parks.

Is this something that's known to the ORCT2 community?  Has it already been addressed / being fixed?  Sorry to repeat the topic if it has.  I'd wager that it has something to do with the limited memory allotted for each park.  Thus, I'd imagine it's possible this could be fixed if the limitations of VRCT2 are removed after a new save format is finished.  But what do I know hah...

Edited by IceKnight366

Yes, we're aware of this. The problem doesn't really lay with the animations, but with the invalidation of the screen areas where animations are. As you mentioned, the animations will work if something else nearby is moving. The engine tries to draw the least amount every time by re-using the screen buffer. Map animations are there to let the game know that a certain area does need to be redrawn, even if nothing else really changes around it. The SV6 format only allows for so many map animations, so when you reach this limit it may appear clunky. This is not something we can fix before moving to our own save format.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2018 at 06:46, Broxzier said:

Yes, we're aware of this. The problem doesn't really lay with the animations, but with the invalidation of the screen areas where animations are. As you mentioned, the animations will work if something else nearby is moving. The engine tries to draw the least amount every time by re-using the screen buffer. Map animations are there to let the game know that a certain area does need to be redrawn, even if nothing else really changes around it. The SV6 format only allows for so many map animations, so when you reach this limit it may appear clunky. This is not something we can fix before moving to our own save format.

You guys rock!  Thanks