Crash on launch

• 1 month later...

Hi alflav. I had problems with c++ and assertion failures for a few days right after i reinstalled windows vista to my computer and couldn't run openrct2. The way i finally fixed this was:  

1. I made sure I installed necessary windows updates including .net framework, service pack 2, and msxml which i think are needed to run openrct2. These programs may be included in newer operating systems such as windows 7, 8, and 10 and therefore do not need to be downloaded from microsoft.com. However this software is not included in older versions of windows such as "windows vista"  and "windows xp" and do need to be downloaded and added to windows either manually, or by automatically updating windows for open roller coaster tycoon to to function on your computer.

2.  But most importantly and what i think was actually causing the assertion failure in my case was the fact that i had more than one version of microsoft visual c++ installed on my computer.    Go to "control panel"; then go to "programs and features". Look to see if there is more than one version of microsoft visual c++ installed and listed. If there is, then click on, and uninstall all other versions except the newest relevant version which is (x86) for 32-bit operating system or (x64) for 64-bit operating systems.  So you want to see in your programs and features list, only 1: "microsoft visual c++ 2015 redistributable [(x64) or (x86)] - 14.0.23026" for example.

Microsoft visual c++ can be installed directly from microsoft by going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows.aspx and searching for c++ or visual c++.   All compatible versions of visual c++ can be installed or uninstalled to your computer as needed without causing harm.

note:  having 2 or 3 same-named versions of other software or updates in "programs and features" is sometimes a good thing. So don't go erasing all other duplicate updates or programs. For example, I have 3 "msxml 4.0 sp2" updates which are slightly different from each other and seem to be necessary, so i will keep all 3.

• Like 1