Mismatched G2.dat size on android?

So I recently decided to download this game on my phone as trying to play RCT Classic didn't work. I followed this tutorial, and everything seemed to go ok until I launched the game and got the error:

Mismatched g2.dat size

Expected: 3238

Actual: 3263

g2.dat may be installed improperly.

Path to g2.dat: /sdcard/openrct2/g2.dat

Any idea on how to fix it?

Edited by DrawsomeDrawer
2 hours ago, jensj12 said:

g2.dat is supplied by openrct2. A size mismatch usually indicates a mixed install, which means you have files from different versions of openrct2. Re-installing usually does the trick.

What do you mean by a mixed install? I reinstalled tye apk and got the same results. What files would be different? The g2.dat file? I only found one of them. 

17 minutes ago, DrawsomeDrawer said:

What do you mean by a mixed install? I reinstalled tye apk and got the same results. What files would be different? The g2.dat file? I only found one of them. 

OK: there are two ways of uninstalling/re-installing any software; 'clean' and 'dirty' ...

A 'dirty' re-install does occur far more often than it should and it's not the user's fault: 'artifacts' of the previous installation have not been overwritten by the re-installation process; usually, that's a failure on the part of whomever wrote the uninstall/install application. I'm describing something like, "Oh, at this point I should write G2.dat but, oh my!, it's already here, so I don't have to" ...

How to perform a 'clean' uninstall/re-install:

1. Use system's/program's provided (un)install feature

2. navigate to the (previously) relevant file locations, and destroy anything/everything that remains

3. now, install all over again

There might be other issues that should not pertain to anything related to OpenRCT2 but, um, yeah: APK? So, you're using a Mobile Device that runs Android ...

I can't speak knowledgably about, "anything Android": potentially, wow, there might be any number of inter-file dependencies/access-authorization-issues that I just-plain don't know about.

Please, try a 'clean' procedure, as I have described and, hit or miss, please post again.

Oh, BTW, Jensj12 is wonderful and very knowledgeable, but failed to mention that the specific style of your problem is known as, "a failed checksum value".

If folks here can help get you sorted, that will also help anyone/everyone with a similar issue; yes?

Typhoon

1 hour ago, RollerCoasterTyphoon said:

OK: there are two ways of uninstalling/re-installing any software; 'clean' and 'dirty' ...

A 'dirty' re-install does occur far more often than it should and it's not the user's fault: 'artifacts' of the previous installation have not been overwritten by the re-installation process; usually, that's a failure on the part of whomever wrote the uninstall/install application. I'm describing something like, "Oh, at this point I should write G2.dat but, oh my!, it's already here, so I don't have to" ...

How to perform a 'clean' uninstall/re-install:

1. Use system's/program's provided (un)install feature

2. navigate to the (previously) relevant file locations, and destroy anything/everything that remains

3. now, install all over again

There might be other issues that should not pertain to anything related to OpenRCT2 but, um, yeah: APK? So, you're using a Mobile Device that runs Android ...

I can't speak knowledgably about, "anything Android": potentially, wow, there might be any number of inter-file dependencies/access-authorization-issues that I just-plain don't know about.

Please, try a 'clean' procedure, as I have described and, hit or miss, please post again.

Oh, BTW, Jensj12 is wonderful and very knowledgeable, but failed to mention that the specific style of your problem is known as, "a failed checksum value".

If folks here can help get you sorted, that will also help anyone/everyone with a similar issue; yes?

Typhoon

I did a clean uninstall I'm pretty sure by using an app that not on uninstalls apps but also deletes the leftovers and either way I could only find 1 g2.dat file when searching my tablet anyways

Edited by DrawsomeDrawer
1 hour ago, DrawsomeDrawer said:

I did a clean uninstall I'm pretty sure by using an app that not on uninstalls apps but also deletes the leftovers and either way I could only find 1 g2.dat file when searching my tablet anyways

No, you do what I said, YOURSELF, precisely, including all possible file locations: you claim you used "an app" ... for all I could possibly know (and this is exactly what I originally told you), all you've ever performed remains 'dirty'. You did NOT perform a clean uninstall/re-install, according to my suggestion: you just admitted to using "an app"; again, Android might exercise file protections that I simply don't know; or your AV-protection suite; um, gee, wow, do you even possess "Administrator Access" to all functions of your tablet?

WiFi tablet & SIM card: I expected (incorrectly) that the Android device was a SmartPhone. Happily, that's irrelevant: a checksum failure that reports more can only mean that some 3rd-party has illicitly added to the size of the file; that could only have happened within the environment of the device, itself ...

Wipe it, and I don't mean, "using an app".

Typhoon

16 minutes ago, RollerCoasterTyphoon said:

No, you do what I said, YOURSELF, precisely, including all possible file locations: you claim you used "an app" ... for all I could possibly know (and this is exactly what I originally told you), all you've ever performed remains 'dirty'. You did NOT perform a clean uninstall/re-install, according to my suggestion: you just admitted to using "an app"; again, Android might exercise file protections that I simply don't know; or your AV-protection suite; um, gee, wow, do you even possess "Administrator Access" to all functions of your tablet?

WiFi tablet & SIM card: I expected (incorrectly) that the Android device was a SmartPhone. Happily, that's irrelevant: a checksum failure that reports more can only mean that some 3rd-party has illicitly added to the size of the file; that could only have happened within the environment of the device, itself ...

Wipe it, and I don't mean, "using an app".

Typhoon

Ok how do I wipe it? Step by step, and what do I even wipe?