Just opening my RCTC save file corrupted it to only work in OpenRCT2

I had built a Twister coaster but it should've been a stand-up Twister coaster, so I thought I'd download openrct2 to easily change it. It became too intense (above 10) and I decided to abandon the idea. I didn't save the game or anything, and that would've been a different format anyway. So now trying to open it back up in RTC Classic, the game just crashes, but it still works fine in openrct2.

I downloaded the RCT2 Save Game Manager and I can see that it spits out an error: "The file CRC did not match". And that's just from accessing the save file with a different program. How do I fix this and why is your application writing into save files without warning in the first place?

I've spent countless hours on this park trying to make it look natural and now I an only finish it in openrct2. That's not a good look on you. I've attached the map and the manager if that helps.

845905301_30-AridHeights.sv6 RCT2SGM.exe

13 hours ago, Gymnasiast said:

> why is your application writing into save files without warning in the first place?

It doesn’t. It always asks the first time.

You’re free to examine our code to check, though.

There's no way for me to check, I'll take your word for it. Could it be that openrct2 wrote to the registry or an ini file somewhere and that's causing the issues? It's literally just the crc that is corrupted, which is a checksum. I tried cross referencing multiple save files in a hex editor but they are all very different. I can't find any similarities but I'm not a coder either. 

Which version of OpenRCT2 did you open it in, specifically?

Could it be that openrct2 wrote to the registry or an ini file somewhere and that's causing the issues?

It doesn’t, but even if it did that should not affect files.

I did manage to get your file into a state where at least RCTC will open it again, albeit with a warning.

Edit: Hm, it seems that still crashes RCTC after a bit. I have no idea why. :/

AridHeights-resaved.sv6

Edited by Gymnasiast
7 hours ago, Gymnasiast said:

Which version of OpenRCT2 did you open it in, specifically?

It doesn’t, but even if it did that should not affect files.

I did manage to get your file into a state where at least RCTC will open it again, albeit with a warning.

Edit: Hm, it seems that still crashes RCTC after a bit. I have no idea why. :/

It was the latest release, 0.4.0 and I am using the RCT2 demo install as a base

Thanks for at least making it accessible again, I was almost done with the park as well, so I'll just save a bunch. RCTC already has a habit of randomly crashing, but usually after half an hour or longer. Now it's less than 5 minutes, but I guess that's the price to pay for taking the "easy" way out.

Edited by Seabottom

I've just found that what I thought was a cosmetic green silhoutte that normally occurs with scenery in RCTC (I can't believe the amount of bugs still...) actually happened while building a ride. Turns out that those track pieces weren't a mere visual bug. Trying to delete them crashes the game instantly lol. This has nothing to do with OpenRCT2 though, but I've finished the park now and that's all I wanted :)

d39e71e6a3.png

• Like 1