OpenRCT.app 0.3.5

The launcher downloaded 0.3.5 today, and when I click "play", nothing happens.  If I drill down into the OpenRCT2 "bin" folder, I have a copy of OpenRCT2 with the "null" symbol over the icon, attempting to load it yields the following dialog box:

1270838500_ScreenShot2021-11-21at13_23_56.png.4a1e35a80985674fbecec4c99719e881.png

I do not see this requirement listed in the changelog - is this intended?  Fortunately I can restore time machine backups to a point and make things work again, but I have no desire to upgrade macOS and break 20 other things just to play one game.

Apple tends to be quite late introducing new C++ features, and since we needed some of them we had to require a certain version of their compiler, which in turn only works on macOS 10.14 and later. The last release of OpenRCT2 that will work on your system is v0.3.4.1. You can download that version here (it won’t auto-update, so it will continue to work indefinitely): https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/releases/download/v0.3.4/OpenRCT2-0.3.4-macos-x86-64.zip

• Like 1

Fair enough, I figured it was Apple's fault, as I had kind of alluded to.  I could upgrade to Catalina, but I don't really see the point especially as High Sierra is the highest version common to all my devices.  And I don't want to lose 32-bit support.  I'll just go back to running it in a Parallels VM alongside my other classic game addictions (SimCity4, et.al.).

I'm assuming that compatibility is this way to stay?  (I've noticed the bar has been raised and lowered in the past.)

Edited by Sabretooth78

Yeah, we briefly raised it to v10.14 before, but then someone found a way to compile it for v10.13 as well. This time around, though, especially with the infrastructure needed to compile on Big Sur and for ARM, we weren’t so lucky.

I could upgrade to Catalina, but I don't really see the point especially as High Sierra is the highest version common to all my devices.  And I don't want to lose 32-bit support.

Current OpenRCT2 versions will still work on Mojave (10.14), which still had 32-bit support. (From your post, I couldn’t quite tell if you were aware of that.)

I could upgrade to 10.14 on my laptop, but I've always tended to like to keep both my Macs on the same OS version.  I suppose it couldn't hurt to try.  Go beyond 10.14 and a lot of things I commonly use will break / require updates...

Knowing the way Apple operates, the bar will end up getting broken again in the future anyway.