Various "not quite bugs"

This is just a head's up for several things that aren't quite bugs, but aren't ideas either, more like "things that could use improvement." First though, a question I hope doesn't offend everybody here but probably will - if you had to estimate, would the timeframe for OpenRCT2 0.4's release vaguely be more a matter of days, weeks or months? I'm apologizing right now, I know it will get released when it's ready, but I haven't been around here very long, just trying to get an idea of how these things work.

OK, onto the "not quite bugs." (All but the first in build 0.3.41 simply because I hadn't gotten a chance to encounter them before I updated the software; the first in both that and build 0.3.4.) First, in a large, active park anyway with large coasters, ride rating calculation takes a really long time, As in "enough time to head to the kitchen for a drink" long. I don't know if there's any easy way to improve it, and anything more complicated to run it faster isn't worth the effort.

Second, when editing land below a ride near it's support height limit, the game gives a "too high for supports" message, as it very well should, but it provides it when attempting to raise the land as well, as opposed to simply lowering it.

Finally and more important, on the corkscrew coaster, the amount of additional velocity provided by each individual booster track piece is really small, and accelerating a train by not very much takes a ton of boosters, far more than it should. Of course it shouldn't be instant, it should take a series of boosters, but really the amount of additional velocity provided per individual booster piece should roughly be doubled.

Again, not really bugs, but not new features either, more like "things needing improvement or fixing."

(Moderators, if this is in the wrong subforum, please feel free to move it.)

The OpenRCT2 v0.4 release (which will, by definition contain the new save format) is at least weeks ago, but might be months.

As for your other questions:

1. It’s mostly by design. It is currently tied to specific ticks to ensure other stuff gets run too. On faster systems, we might be able run more of it at the same time if we spun it off to a separate thread, but special care is needed to ensure it doesn’t break multiplayer - having stats available changes guest behaviour, and having stats available earlier on _some_ clients would cause a desyncs.
  2. Can you provide a test park for this? There are cases where this might be a bug, but it might also be correct: if you build a ride too high using cheats, and then attempt to raise the land, the resulting supports would still be too long.
  3. The boosters for the Corkscrew are indeed a bit underpowered, but they have to be in order to remain compatible with RCT1, as well as with old OpenRCT2 saves.
  • Like 1

It’s mostly by design. It is currently tied to specific ticks to ensure other stuff gets run too. On faster systems, we might be able run more of it at the same time if we spun it off to a separate thread, but special care is needed to ensure it doesn’t break multiplayer - having stats available changes guest behaviour, and having stats available earlier on _some_ clients would cause a desyncs.

OK than, the extremely long times are mostly on huge coasters using just about every trick in the book to boost excitement, so it would have a lot of number crunching to do.

Can you provide a test park for this? There are cases where this might be a bug, but it might also be correct: if you build a ride too high using cheats, and then attempt to raise the land, the resulting supports would still be too long.

I could, but it seems that might have been the case, and the problem seems to have resolved itself on the highly raised block of land at least, so there's that.

The boosters for the Corkscrew are indeed a bit underpowered, but they have to be in order to remain compatible with RCT1, as well as with old OpenRCT2 saves.

Holy, crud, I didn't think about that! Just thinking about all the fine tuning that went into my wooden coasters, yes definitely keep them the same.