Downloading Custom Roller Coasters

Hello everyone,

I just started using OpenRCT2 recently and I've already figured out how to use some downloaded. custom content. My question is where can I go to get custom roller coasters such as RMC hybrid wooden? I got the train sprites already (somehow) but I don't have the matching track. I've seen these amazing screenshots from other players and am interested in downloading those creations.

Any advice on where to looking for these items?

Thanks!

• Like 1

The custom RMC train is available from here. You can download it an install it by placing the .DAT file in your OpenRCT2/object folder.

The custom track requires a modified OpenRCT2 executable; it is not a custom object. The latest source code can be downloaded from here and there is an older Windows binary here. This is still a work in progress and it is obviously not compatible with the regular OpenRCT2.

• Like 1

I was actually just on New Elements admiring your work... very impressive.

I was able to get the train, and I downloaded the track from the link you sent... how do I actually use that folder (I'm very new to all of this).

Thanks for your help, and I am also interested in and highly impressed with your other projects with custom roller coasters.

Just now, nevetsocsiv said:

I was able to get the train, and I downloaded the track from the link you sent... how do I actually use that folder (I'm very new to all of this).

If you downloaded the binary build, you just unzip it and run openrct2.exe. You will need to enable the "allow arbitrary ride type changes" cheat in order to see the custom track, as there is no custom train that uses it yet.

I think I did it right... was this the button I needed to click?

That link is for the source code - you can download either the source or the binary but obviously, source code needs to be compiled before use - my comment above assumed you were using the precompiled binary build. You can find build instructions for all supported platforms here - the procedure is no different, but I will need to send you the latest set of track sprites so you can build g2.dat (they're not in the Git repository because they are updated so frequently).

I'm pretty sure I am using the precompiled binary build, so I guess I just downloaded the wrong thing. What link was I supposed to click? There is a lot going on on that page.

The Github page that you posted a screenshot of (the first link I posted) is for the source code, not the precompiled binary. You use that if you want to build the code from source. If you want a precompiled binary, you won't find it on that page - the openrct2.exe executable that's in there was last updated in 2015, and honestly I don't know why it's there, but it's certainly not what you want.

The precompiled binary version can be downloaded from this link instead, as I said previously. This was compiled by someone else about a month ago; I know that several people have downloaded this and had it work but I haven't tested it myself. For this version, all you should have to do is unzip and run openrct2.exe.

Edited by X7123M3-256

I'm sorry, I just reread all of our conversation and I totally missed the other link you sent. I am trying the binary now and I'm sure it will work. Thanks for helping and being patient with me.

I gather this is something you are still working on? Is the goal to make it regularly available content? I was planning on keeping an eye on your New Elements page to see when your projects are available for download (looking forward to the Raptor and Intamin double spine).

13 minutes ago, nevetsocsiv said:

I'm sorry, I just reread all of our conversation and I totally missed the other link you sent. I am trying the binary now and I'm sure it will work. Thanks for helping and being patient with me.

I gather this is something you are still working on? Is the goal to make it regularly available content? I was planning on keeping an eye on your New Elements page to see when your projects are available for download (looking forward to the Raptor and Intamin double spine).

Yes, this is still a work in progress, and in fact I'm working on it right now. The binary build that I linked is a month old, and quite a bit more has been done since then, but I estimate another month until completion.

The end goal is to get the custom track merged to develop. That's the only way it will be "regularly available" since custom track types require a modified OpenRCT2 executable that is otherwise not compatible with the official game, and this isn't really practical for widespread use. I make the code available for people to play around with, but I don't expect anyone to replace their existing OpenRCT2 install with this one anytime soon.

Edited by X7123M3-256