Playing on the same Network

Hi little question, can my sister and I play on the same server if we are in the same house and on the same network. I forwarded my port 11753, sites can see it, its open, but when she tries to connect, it says unable to connect. Also, I tried disabling the firewall on my pc, still doesnt work. She can join other servers, as can I. I am not good with server things so if you can help me without it being too complicated, it'd be nice. Thanks!

For local network play you don't need to forward ports in your router. You basically need to find out your local IP address in your network. This can be easily found by typing `ipconfig` (Windows) or `ifconfig` (Linux/macOS) in the command prompt/terminal. It's the IP address your sister will need to connect to. :)

I've attached a screenshot where my local IP address starts with `192.168.0.***`. Just type that in Quick Connect and you're good to go.

cmd_qsUnSUbelP.png

Hey, thanks, but everytime she tries to connect to me, it says connection closed.

Here is everything I tried:

Entering IP in add server, she gets unable to connect.

Entering IP in add server using Hamachi, she gets No Data error.

Clicking server name in server browser, unable to connect.

On my side, I always see that she connects to the server but then it says has disconnected (Connection Closed).

PS: I made a server to see if anyone else can join, it's called MyThoLoGy's server. please let me know if it works on your end! Thanks!

Edited by MyThoLoGy

Not sure, I'm using Kaspersky anti-virus, I deactivated it and windows firewall and it seems to not fix anything. Should I try again? If you can tell me how to open the port on windows firewall it'd be nice also :) I have windows 10

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been trying to fix this for the past 2 days!

5 minutes ago, MyThoLoGy said:

Not sure, I'm using Kaspersky anti-virus, I deactivated it and windows firewall and it seems to not fix anything. Should I try again? If you can tell me how to open the port on windows firewall it'd be nice also :) I have windows 10

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been trying to fix this for the past 2 days!

If disabling both anti-virus and firewall didn't help, then it's probably not related to this issue.

Could you post your AND your sisters PC `ipconfig` output? Or, for privacy, send me a private message about it?

3 minutes ago, MyThoLoGy said:

Also my sister is using the ttp demo and I am using the ttp from steam.

This should have no impact.

Received `ipconfig` details. Seems ok.

Could you try to launch OpenRCT2 twice on the same PC? In the first instance you start a server. And in the second instance you click `Add server` and type the network IP address and then try to connect to it. Does the connection work fine?

Also, just to make sure: Whitelist (allow) the OpenRCT2 executable file in the Windows Firewall. Instructions on how to do so can be found here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-program-firewall-windows-10

The last thing I could think of is making sure that you can ping both PCs. From 1 PC type `ping OTHER_IP_ADDRESS_HERE` in the command prompt/terminal and vice versa. Is it getting any replies?

It's possible that the (WiFi) network that you're using refuses connection to other devices.

As the pings seem to fail there are 2 problems that I can think of:
- The network/wifi doesn't allow communication between devices.
- One (or both) of the devices don't allow ICMP IPv4 pings, which is a firewall related thing. Changing this won't magically fix OpenRCT2 multiplayer but it does tell us if the machines can actually communicate or not.

10 hours ago, Jarno said:

As the pings seem to fail there are 2 problems that I can think of:
- The network/wifi doesn't allow communication between devices.
- One (or both) of the devices don't allow ICMP IPv4 pings, which is a firewall related thing. Changing this won't magically fix OpenRCT2 multiplayer but it does tell us if the machines can actually communicate or not.

hey thanks for your help, she hosted the server and it worked. So when I play with her, she will host, if I play with other, I will host :) Thanks alot for the help!