Unable to start OpenRCT2 in Debian 10.2 Buster

I'm running Debian 10.2 stable on an old ThinkPad X200 and I can't get the OpenRCT2 installer to do anything. I set the location of the RCT2.exe file (GOG.com from the fake C:/ drive in the .wine directory) but nothing happens when I click "play". I just installed WINE so I know it's up-to-date. RCT2 vanilla runs fine on its own. Has anyone else had this issue?

• 8 months later...

I have also had this issue. I initially had OpenRCT2 running through wine, as vanilla RCT2 that I had downloaded from Amazon could only be ran using wine. OpenRCT2 running through wine crashed immediately every time. The vanilla works fine. I have the Debian native OpenRCT2 file downloaded, as the wine OpenRCT2 file was for windows 64 bit. I have no idea how to get the Debian OpenRCT2 to open/install and let me choose where the installer for RCT2 is at. I'm on Linux Mint Cinnamon and am new to this operating system, so I may be missing something obvious. Would anyone know how to get the linux native file to start for the first time?

On 30/12/2019 at 04:05, jerry_at_trick said:

I set the location of the RCT2.exe file

The directory you should set as the RCT2 path is the one which contains rct2.exe - if you provided the path to the executable itself, that might be why it doesn't work.

5 hours ago, ChopLowRObLowe said:

I have no idea how to get the Debian OpenRCT2 to open/install and let me choose where the installer for RCT2 is at

If it can't autodetect the location of your RCT2 install, it should prompt you for the location on first start. If this doesn't happen for some reason, look in ~/.config/OpenRCT2/config.ini and set the game_path manually there.