Kings Emporium - Build Log

Backstory:

In 1979, seeking to expand from the success of Kings Dominion/Kings Island, Family Leisure Center (a partnership between Taft Broadcasting, and Top Value Enterprises) develops a plot of land just 15 miles away from Springfield Illinois known as "Kings Emporium". The park is a moderate success, opening with The Great American Patriot( a wooden roller coaster manufactured by Philadelphia Toboggan Co), The Jester (a Schwarzkopf Jet-Star roller  coaster), The Woodstock Express (A PTC family wooden roller coaster), The Log Jammer (an arrow log flume), Wildfire (A darkride/roller coaster hybrid through a burning village, inspired by Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City), and more.

1979 - May

spacer.png

We start here at International Street. To the right, near the International Theater (checkerboard building), we have the Berserker, a huss pirate ship. In the far right is The Holiday Cinemas (the dome) showcasing "The Rivers of Europe" short film, where guests can get a thrilling educational journey through the rivers of Europe. The Emporail is the prime form of transportation for the park, it connects International Street to the other areas of the park.

spacer.png

As we move forwards, you'll see The Great American Patriot, a 72ft beast of an attraction designed by John C. Allen. It is the anchor attraction at American Grove. Here you'll find rides reminiscent of those found at the all American county fair, such as the Bayern Curve( a high speed spinning ride), and The Yankee Tornado (an enterprise model).

Below The American Grove is a small kids area, this is Hanna Barbara Land, home of the Woodstock Express. This roller coaster is for those not yet ready for the ferocity of The Great American Patriot. The other ride her is "Yoghi Bear's Cave", a small walk through attraction full of gems and jewels.   

spacer.png

From this overhead shot, you can a better view of the Hanna Barbara Land, marked by the famous rainbow arch. Over at American Grove, you'll also find The Merry-Go-Round, a staple at any carnival.

spacer.png

Moving forward, we're entering Medieval Land. The anchor here is The Jester, a 45-foot roller coaster that was imported right from the German fair circuit. To the left of that is Dragon River, a boat ride through the ruins of a castle. Myth has it, the ruins are guarded by a fire-breathing dragon. Here you'll find archery, village shops, and sideshows. 

spacer.png

Moving onto The Country Mill, we stop by our first attraction, Old Timers,  On old-style automobiles enjoy a scenic ride through the forest. You can also find our Roasted Turkey Legs at Whistlestop Cafe (ignore the sign). 

spacer.png

While there may not be any high towering roller coasters in this area, two rides showcase this area. The first one is Log Jammer, an Arrow Dynamics log ride with a revolving platform. Themed to a Lumberjack Saw Mill, It's sure to keep you cool on a hot summer day.

spacer.png

You'll also find Wildfire. Inspired by a ride found in the Ozarks called Fire in the Hole, The Family Leisure Center wanted to do something of their own. Wildfire is a ride through a western town caught off-guard by a dry lightning wildfire. It is up to the firemen of The Country Mill to extinguish the raging fire. It ends with a 12ft twisted drop into a splashdown.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also found in The Country Mills is The Western Theater, how to several shows such as The Country Roundup, a mix of good ol' bluegrass dancing and singing. The Country Whip is also found here. While the idiosyncratic placement of the attraction isn't beautiful, guests love the attraction.

spacer.png

The last land on this journey is Adventure Island. This is home to "Adventure Through Time", a boat ride through the age of the Dinosaurs. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This area is home to a lot more flats, and some shops. If you're into spinning, this area has something for you. 

spacer.png

The park map for the start of the season looks intriguing, and we're all excited to see what might come from Kings' Emporium. Will it expand into something akin to Kings Island or Kings Dominion  or will it burn out?

spacer.png

1979 - July

Not even a year into the season, The Country Whip has been removed from it's original location. Pieces from the ride can be seen outside Wildfire in a new storage area. What might be going on?

spacer.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have the download on the parks section of the forum. I will be updating this yearly in a narrative format, and I'm excited to start this ongoing project. It took forever to get to this state where I have a full park designed to even begin a narrative format. I've spent months on this so far, and I hope y'all enjoy.

• Like 2

It's been a full season since we've visited here at Kings Emporium, and we start on international street. Not much has changed here, but the new monorail system seems to have been stacking up lately. Slow dispatches maybe? i've talked to employees who have told me that they're looking into reducing the number of trains to two. While i personally think that's an awful decision, we'll have to see how this plays out.

spacer.png

Entering Adventure Island, we can see that they've invested money in the Exporail with a new bridge going over the Rhode River. What's that over at The Country Mill? Hmm...

spacer.png

New for 1980 is Coal Miner. A scenic roller coaster ride through the woods designed by Arrow Dynamics. The Whip has yet to be rebuilt, and is still sitting in the storage area. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And we return our journey back to International Street. The Exporail is still having issues with rail traffic. I'm crossing my fingers that the park can resolve this soon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, LivingBread said:

It's been a full season since we've visited here at Kings Emporium, and we start on international street. Not much has changed here, but the new monorail system seems to have been stacking up lately. Slow dispatches maybe? i've talked to employees who have told me that they're looking into reducing the number of trains to two. While i personally think that's an awful decision, we'll have to see how this plays out.

spacer.png

Entering Adventure Island, we can see that they've invested money in the Exporail with a new bridge going over the Rhode River. What's that over at The Country Mill? Hmm...

spacer.png

New for 1980 is Coal Miner. A scenic roller coaster ride through the woods designed by Arrow Dynamics. The Whip has yet to be rebuilt, and is still sitting in the storage area. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And we return our journey back to International Street. The Exporail is still having issues with rail traffic. I'm crossing my fingers that the park can resolve this soon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I really love your concept! It's amazing to see how the park is developing into a giant theme park. 

18 hours ago, BEplayer said:

I really love your concept! It's amazing to see how the park is developing into a giant theme park. 

Thanks so much! I worked hard on the narration of the park and getting it to be a full layout took so much work, I'm happy you're enjoying the progression.

19 hours ago, Dubaifreak said:

Good, we would like to see the 1980 version of the park in action.

Thanks! I have the download park file here, but I'm unsure if it will work unless you have the custom scenery attached

download.  

H

4 hours ago, LivingBread said:

1980 - Winter

As the 1980 season winds down, the park enjoys the profit brought on by the new "Coal Miner". Meanwhile, an area has been cleared by "The Country Mill" monorail entrance. What could be going on here?

spacer.png

Hopefully a big arrow looper! The park already worked with arrow for the mine train. 

• Like 1

1981 - May

Canyon River Rapids

spacer.png

Introducing "Canyon River Rapids", the park's third water ride is sure to soak you on a hot Summer day. 
The latest addition to The Country Mill's is a good companion to the Log Jammer log flume. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Moving away from the new Canyon River Rapids, Coal Miner is going strong a year after its' debut. Don't let the empty seats fool you, this people eater is a crowd favorite. 

spacer.png

Over in Medieval Land, we have The Jester. I'd say its' still going strong, but the crowds have died down for this attraction. While thrilling, it just doesn't seem to get the love that it did when we first opened.

spacer.png

Over at The American Grove, The Great American Patriot is still bringing in huge crowds. The trick to riding it? Ride it at the end of the night. Most people run to it at rope drop because it is so close to the front of the park. Right now we're at a 55 minute line, ouch. Even worse? The queue for Yoghi Bears' Cave, our walkthrough attraction. It continues to be the most popular attraction in Hanna-Barbera Land. 

spacer.png

As it begins to rain, we land on Adventure Island. Adventure Through Time is still pulling in some nice numbers, and is a great way to escape the rain. Other than that, it feels like this area is missing something? It feels so quiet here. Wait, what's that in the distance? hmm.

spacer.png

Wrapping up 1981 is another great season for Kings' Emporium. To wrap things up, Canyon River Rapids and Coal Miner has done much for the park. Currently "The Country Mills" is the most popular area in the park due to these attractions. Over in "American Grove", "TGA Patriot" is running strong, and still thrilling guests. Crowds are quieter in Adventure Island, and Medieval Land. The Jester, in particular, is the least popular roller coaster in the park. What will the future hold for Adventure Island? 

spacer.png

1981 Park Download

• Awesome 1

Amazing that we got a river rapids ride! Only one year after the original, last year at six flags Astroworld. 

I fear that Jester may be on it's way out. Next to it there is some empty space, maybe we will get one of these modern looping coasters from arrow or schwarzkopf there, that features great medival theming.

(Keep up the amazing work, that may be the best build log here)

September 1981:

As the Summer comes to a close, we find ourselves on a weekday. The park is empty, and that one corner near "Adventure through Time" is not. There's a lot of construction going on, and some new paths. I wonder what this could be. 

spacer.png

(Hey guys, just wanted to mention that I appreciate all the compliments/support y'all have been giving the park.)

May 8th 1982,

While I was minding my business, I came across this advertisement in a local catalog. Then later that day, I heard about a grand opening on May 10th for a world record breaking roller coaster called Mamba Mountain. This one promises to flip people not once, not twice, but 5 times. Allegedly, it was a race to open this roller coaster in time for this particular world record. Another park in New York was close to getting it for a roller coaster opening later this month as well.

spacer.png

I decided it was time for me to experience just what it was like to flip that many times. As I went over to Mamba Mountain, I was greeted by this long queue. I wasn't the only one who was excited to ride this extraordinary roller coaster.

spacer.png

The roller coaster was great! I feel like it really brought together the "Adventure Island" area. My favorite part was just how we were able to interact with the guests on the path below us. The worst part? The 2 hour wait, and it's not even past Memorial Day yet. 

spacer.png

After my ride on Mamba Mountain, I was curious to see just how Canyon Rapids was doing. It was 65 degrees, but park employees told me every ride was opened today. I wasn't shocked to see the low ridership numbers, it was cold. 

spacer.png

And yet? The Log Jammer had an hour wait all day. 

spacer.png

As a walked from The Country Mill into Medieval Land, I went over for a ride on The Jester. This old school ride is a classic, but I was saddened to see it in the state it currently is operating. The paint seems to be chipping, and the ridership numbers are lower than before. 

spacer.png

As I crossed into The American Grove, I took a ride on The Berserker. With Adventure Land and The Country Mill getting a love lately, it would be nice to see an expansion  over here. 

spacer.png

We end this journey back on international street. Holiday Cinemas recently uploaded flags to tips of the roof, and I noticed the sound quality inside seems to have improved. It's not a popular attraction, but a good place for some atmosphere.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1982 download

• Awesome 1
22 hours ago, BEplayer said:

I can still see the Jester being removed. What about an arrow suspended as a replacement? I know, the bat at kings island may be a failure, but I was told that arrow is working on improving the design of this model.

We'll have to see what the future holds for that plot of land. The park seems to be teasing something.

August - 1982

Today I went over to the park for a ride on The Jester. With the way thing's are looking, I just wanted to get one last ride in just in case this was the last operating season for the ill-fated roller coaster. Unfortunately I walked into this.

spacer.png

Not only was the area blocked off, but the monorail bridge had "Don't look down" plastered on it. I'm not going to lie,  I'm frustrated. You'd think the park would give us fans a chance to ride this classic one last time. When I asked the manager, he told me it was sold to a place in Monticello Indiana. When I vented about my frustration, he handed me this flyer and told me "If you thought The Jester was thrilling, just wait till' you see what we have next year". He told me nothing else. 

spacer.png

• Awesome 1

1983 - Don't Look Down

Introducing Excaliber. Climb 130 ft and dare to take the plummet. Don't look down.

spacer.png

Entering the park, I was fascinated by what was in the former place of The Jester (1979-1982). I've never seen anything quite like it.

spacer.png

The queue was quite long unfortunately. The capacity isn't huge, but the ride does load/unload at a decent pace.

spacer.png

In the American Grove, The Great American Patriot premieres a new color scheme. This new shine of Red, White, and Blue is so striking! This roller coaster was tied for the longest line in the park, right behind Excaliber.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Right beside Dragon River is a new restricted pathway which connects to The American Grove

spacer.png

Mamba Mountain has been hauling trains all day. I've been able to marathon it multiple times. What a change a year makes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Down Adventure Island, "Adventure Through Time" runs peacefully. Of the three dark rides, Adventure-Through-Time is a favorite among couples. I've heard stories of couples getting kicked out for having a little too much fun on this boat ride.

spacer.png

Speaking of dark rides, I love that Wildfire is always a walk-on. Tucked away in the back of the park, families love this ride. The inferno in the finale still catches me by surprise. Beside, Canyon River Rapids is looking amazing.

spacer.png

I took one ride on Coal Miner before deciding to go home. It's a jerky ride, but I love the near misses with the support structure. 

spacer.png

1983 Park download

6 hours ago, LivingBread said:

1983 - Don't Look Down

Introducing Excaliber. Climb 130 ft and dare to take the plummet. Don't look down.

spacer.png

Entering the park, I was fascinated by what was in the former place of The Jester (1979-1982). I've never seen anything quite like it.

spacer.png

The queue was quite long unfortunately. The capacity isn't huge, but the ride does load/unload at a decent pace.

spacer.png

In the American Grove, The Great American Patriot premieres a new color scheme. This new shine of Red, White, and Blue is so striking! This roller coaster was tied for the longest line in the park, right behind Excaliber.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Right beside Dragon River is a new restricted pathway which connects to The American Grove

spacer.png

Mamba Mountain has been hauling trains all day. I've been able to marathon it multiple times. What a change a year makes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Down Adventure Island, "Adventure Through Time" runs peacefully. Of the three dark rides, Adventure-Through-Time is a favorite among couples. I've heard stories of couples getting kicked out for having a little too much fun on this boat ride.

spacer.png

Speaking of dark rides, I love that Wildfire is always a walk-on. Tucked away in the back of the park, families love this ride. The inferno in the finale still catches me by surprise. Beside, Canyon River Rapids is looking amazing.

spacer.png

I took one ride on Coal Miner before deciding to go home. It's a jerky ride, but I love the near misses with the support structure. 

spacer.png

1983 Park download

Really nice addition! I am interested to see what this new little company named "intamin"  will do in the future!