Audio problems???

Hello there, Im new to OpenRCT2, Im still trying to figure out how to work it, mainly want to use it with RCT Classic but I cant figure that out so Im just using the default parks, But Im having severe audio issues, I can hear all of the music and sound effects, but everything has a staticy/poppy, almost AM radio sound. Any idea what Im doing wrong or how to fix that? Thank you for your time and have a great night :D

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good i thought i was the only one. Tried installing and re-installing and still with the static sounds and music. What's weird is when i first install openrct2 and run it the audio works fine. Once i restart my laptop, the static thing happens. WTH MATE.

@ShawnRUGAME@Caldorus@gartor_88 

Hey guys, wanted to share my experience because when I got Classic, I had similar issues. From what I understand, the files/folders in the Classic version of the game have been changed/modified causing compatibility issues with OpenRCT2. I switched to RollerCoaster Tycoon® 2: Triple Thrill Pack and Roller Coaster Tycoon® Deluxe. When I did, I also needed to go and update game path in OpenRCT2's config file otherwise it was always looking for Classic. See my screens this should help explain it some more. Hope this helps.

orct2-update-path.png

unpacked-game-folders.png

ini-location-on-mac.png

Edited by AM7655
made it easier to follow

@gartor_88see maybe it's here C:/Users/yourUserName/OpenRCT2/

I don't know how it works on windows, but look for the similar folder structure. this is where you'll find auto saves and where you add custom content. Are you all set with Triple Thrill Pack and Deluxe versions? Make sure you have the standalone and not part of the Classic. You are basically updating directory to tell OpenRCT2 where to look.

Just to clarify so nobody is confused. Classic version has modded files/structure that is known to cause compatibility issues with OpenRCT2, especially audio. Switching over to Triple Trill is highly recommended and also optionally linking Deluxe version to get extra scenarios. Updating ini is just to tell OpenRCT2 were to look for game files because and I don't know how it is on Windows, but on mac when installing OpenRCT2, you pick game location and then uninstalling (like deleting Classic folder) or uninstalling OpenRCT2 doesn't do anything because it remembers the settings. To fix that is to manually update game directory in the config file. Same logic applies on Windows I believe.

Edited by AM7655

@AM7655I will try that directory when i get home from work. I've only ever downloaded RCT delux and RCT triple thrill pack only. I watched a tutorial on youtube with instructions on how to get Openrct2, (I never installed classic). I will try to send a screenshot later on what my openrct2 folder looks like. I just right clicked my Openrct2 icon and went to "go to file location" and it takes me straight to the folder. I thought that "config" file maybe was hidden so i set my settings to show hidden files and i still didn't see it.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I think in your case this might be something completely different. I was refraining to ShawnRUGAME's original note since he's on Classic and thought you guys have it same. My only thought is maybe you have a cheap audio card to try that way or like a cheap amazon usb DAC to try and switch from your onboard audio to that and see maybe its something with a handshake issues between the game and your system. You'll get it fixed!

@AM7655what's funny is im a music producer. All my audio is going through a really good audio interface that i have connected to my laptop. Maybe its too good and causing it to have static? haha im going to try to run the game through just my laptop audio and see if that works. Thanks for the help anyways appreciate it bro!

@gartor_88 Awesome! Glad you figured it out!!  This reminds of firmware/codec bugging out. Check to see for firmware or driver update for your audio interface. This should help remedy it. Sometimes what ends up happing is a generic driver is pushed by the OS when first connecting the device. This could be many things but a common one is the firmware driver is not able to recognize the OS or OS version thus making Win take the driver's seat. Also, could be that the device is not able to fully recognize laptop's USB controller which again let's Win take ownership and pushing whatever it can to make it work. You should check with you laptop manufacturer for any USB controller firmware updates. Because it works otherwise WIN -> USB -> Audio Interface -> Sound, the issue is GAME -> CODEC -> USB - Audio Interface -> Static. 👍

Edited by AM7655

That's something i have not done is check to see if there's updates for my audio interface i will check that out. Now that i think of it i haven't really updated anything on my laptop haha. Will be doing all that today, if not I'm ok with using the laptop speakers for RCT. Thank you've been a great help!

• Like 1