Open RCT2 on Mac, GOG method

Hey friends, 

I have really racked my brain all day trying to figure out how to get Open RCT2 to work on my macbook pro. 

First, I downloaded the application from the site, and quickly realized it cannot be played without a purchased version of RCT or RCT2. I found through the overview on the Open RCT2 site that one possible way to do this would be to purchase the game through GOG. I purchased the game, and have the downloaded .exe file, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to extract the files necessary for ORCT2. 

I've tried Wine, Wine Bottler, PlayOnMac, I've read through forums, checked youtube, google, all of that. I'm not having much luck at all. I was able to get my purchased version of RCT2 running through Wine, but it doesn't appear that I can save, or connect it to ORCT2 in any way. 

If anyone could help point me in the right direction I would be forever grateful. Maybe within the past year I found out I could play my favorite childhood game on my iOS, and got hooked all over again. Then I saw the things you could do in ORCT2 and I'm just blown away. I'd love to be able to mess around with the seemingly infinite options floating around in that thing.. 

Can't even tell you how much I'd appreciate some help with this one. I'm not very computer savvy...

Thank you! 

I have a windows computer and bootcamp with windows (free) on my Mac. Either way you can install rct2 on windows, and then copy the files into Macos. Then when you launch rct2open, just link the launcher to the files you copied over. I have had no issues with it whatsoever. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've tried this method, and I keep getting the following:

"Not a supported Inno Setup installer!

Done with 1 error."

The installer I'm using is the " GOG_Galaxy_RollerCoaster_Tycoon_2_Triple_Thrill_Pack.exe" file.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1 year later...
On 23/03/2020 at 16:50, joec said:

I've tried this method, and I keep getting the following:

"Not a supported Inno Setup installer!

Done with 1 error."

The installer I'm using is the " GOG_Galaxy_RollerCoaster_Tycoon_2_Triple_Thrill_Pack.exe" file.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Joec. Several months have passed and you probably solved it already. But im going to paste the answer I found here, since I had the same issue and this is the first result showing in the forum:

Edited by TargusR