How to install the latest version?

Hi people,

I cannot manage getting the latest version of openrct2:
I'm using Linux Mint Sylvia 18.3 (and quite a noob on it) I've followed what's explained in getting started guide there https://openrct2.io/ . But titlescreen is mentioning OpenRCT2, v0.1.3-build (DEBUG). Does it means that the package is not updated?

I tried then simply "Download latest release" on same website. When I double click on this openrct2 file, an error window ask me if whether I want to set it executable or not (in properties it is already set as executable). Then I get an openrct2 window apparently updating the game and showing two buttons "play" and "options". When checking "option" I see the correct path of my RCT2 game, but when checking "Play" the window closes and nothing happens.

Launching from terminal does not show the window with "play" and "option" buttons but simply gives error messages like "error while loading shared libraries: libduktape.so.202: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". Previously I also got the same message with "libcrypto" or "libsdl2".
The same happens with the launcher that I found elsewhere (well I guess it's the same program!).

I hope you could give me some hints

Cheers

Edited by Migh
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, installed from the PPA 0.1.3 is the newest one for that "old" Linux version.
With a newer Mint version you get a newer OpenRCT.

Anyway, the "Download latest release" 0.3.3 Version should work. At least it does with Mint 19.2
Just try 

sudo apt install libduktape202

from terminal and after that is installed you can start openrct2 also from terminal.

As stated that does the trick at least with Mint 19.2, not sure about 18.3, maybe you should consider to upgrade your Mint version anyway because 18.x reached its End of Life (no more security updates) in April.

Edited by midimax
  • Like 1