Multiplayer on local network SOLVED!

Hello

I just spent 3 hours trying to connect to a friends game over a local network, browsing forums, learning how to open ports, different settings, everything! I finally found a solution that works and thought it would be nice to post here in case there are other people like me trying to figure this out.

The Problem: Host sets up a server and other players in their local network get the dreadful "unable to connect to server" message.

The fix: You need to see if computers in your network can ping each other.

Step by Step:                                                            Step 1:

Computer 1 - open the command prompt and type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Look for your IPV4 address, should be something like 192.168.x.x

Computer 2 - repeat process for computer 1, IPV4 address should be slightly different

Now we need to see if both computers can see each other on the network (I believe this is where most of the problems occur)

Step 2:

Computer 1 - in the command prompt type in "ping IPV4ADDRESSCOMPUTER2" after that is finished you will see 1 of 2 things.

(A) packets: sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0, (0% loss)   This is great, this means computer1 can see computer2 in the network

(B) packets: sent = 4, received = 0, lost = 4 (100% loss)   Aww man, this means computer1 cannot see computer2 in the network, shucks!

If you run into issue (B) then you have an issue with the firewall. First make sure that your computer's network is set to private and open up your firewall settings. Temporarily disable your firewall for private networks on computer2. Repeat step 2 and you should get a response this time. Now you know there is an issue, re enable the firewall on computer 2. Look up how to fix this through google. "cannot ping computers on same network" should be fine. I am no computer expert. You got this, believe in the me that believes in you.

Make sure both computers can see each other using "ping IPV4ADDRESSOFOTHERCOMPUTER" if they both can, you are in the golden age!

Step 3:

Host : Take note of your IPV4 address by using ipconfig in the command prompt. Start up OpenRTC. Click multiplayer and start server. Port should be set to 11753. Enter all the other settings as you wish, create your server name, max players, description, ect. Make sure the checkbox for advertise is checked. Start the game up.

Players: Remember that IPV4 address I told you to take note of? Well now comes the coupe de grace for this multiplayer server annoyance. Click on multiplayer, click add server and enter the Hosts IPV4 address. After that, start up the game and VOILA! Now you can play RCT with local buddies.

This is what worked for me after scouring through google and every thread on this board and doing my own troubleshooting. In my case I found that Computer1 could ping Computer2 in my network but not the other way around. In this case I just started the server on Computer2 and can connect with Computer1 with no problem. I know its an issue with my firewall, but I am tired of messing with computer settings.

Anyways, hope this helps a poor soul out there like mine, and can save them the 3 hours it took me playing IT simulator rather than a rollercoaster tycoon sim.

• zbuss changed the title to Multiplayer on local network SOLVED!
  • 6 months later...