Crash Upon Program Launch

Right, I'm not well versed in techno jargon so i'll keep it simple and hope you can do the same for me. I was casually surfing through the various multiplayer servers as I usually do. I attempted to connect to one, again nothing out of the ordinary so far, when all of a sudden just after the data countdown reached its target, my game crashed. 

Thinking nothing of it i tried to open the game back up when I get the message "openrct2.exe has stopped working". The result was the same for the next three attempts. So I uninstall the OpenRCT2 data with the uninstaller, reinstall the program and it started up! Huzzah! Success!... until I tried to join a server and the same happened as before, CRASH! I tried that again and I was back to square one, no launch as before.

I then tried degrading the program back to stable build 0.0.4 to see if that would work. but no. the game has reverted back to not starting at all and giving me the same message. Same again when i tried to install the latest development build. I am also getting the black "command" box (Sorry if that's not what it's called, it's just how I know it) with some mention of "dump path... dump pile" I'll include a screenshot to explain. 

I'm at a complete loss when it comes to these sorts of things and would appreciate any suggestion to help me out here.

Untitled-1.jpg

Was the server called Zod Realism?  Because I got the same problem after trying to connect to that server as well.

https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/issues/3916

Basically, it appears to be an issue with the DAT files to custom rides and scenery downloaded from that server- if you delete them, the game no longer crashes.  Try going into the folder for the DAT files and deleting everything that was installed today (sort the files by date to make it much easier).

• Like 1

YAY! :D Thank you so much Cascadia! I'd hug you if I weren't shackled by the bounds of text based interaction. :P

I did exactly as you said, found the files in the ObjectData folder and got rid of all of them marked for the most recent date and hey presto, we're back in business!

and I believe it was the same server, I remember thinking about general Zod because of the name.

Seriously though, thank you very much for helping me out,you brought a happy gleeful smile to this grim northern git ;)

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, GrafterGaz said:

YAY! :D Thank you so much Cascadia! I'd hug you if I weren't shackled by the bounds of text based interaction. :P

I did exactly as you said, found the files in the ObjectData folder and got rid of all of them marked for the most recent date and hey presto, we're back in business!

and I believe it was the same server, I remember thinking about general Zod because of the name.

Seriously though, thank you very much for helping me out,you brought a happy gleeful smile to this grim northern git ;)

You're welcome!  :D                  

10 minutes ago, Blackendsun1 said:

Can someone tell me what files I need to delete? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled RCT2. Haven't done that to OpenRCT2 yet.

Delete all the custom rides and scenery DATs that were installed on the day you accessed the server that caused the issue.

Unfortunately it appears also back in this mess again. It worked last night as Cascadia said, but now I too get a similar error message. 

I uninstalled the entire openrct2 and the original game completely, no trace of RCT or the mod on my system, again reverted back to stable build 0.0.4 and still the problem persists. 

I have managed to get the game working again, but weirdly enough it only works if I download one of the build exe files and install the game and from the end of the installation click "play now". The game works perfectly from there, but upon exiting and trying to open it up with the OpenRct2.exe rather than the installation file I get the error message and no startup.

I can deal with having this convoluted way of starting the game up, but I just cannot fathom why it only works through installing the game and immediately clicking play now.

You might want to file a bug report on Github for this.  Make sure you attach the dump file generated by the game.

Also, did you delete the OpenRCT folder (the one in which all of your saves and settings are stored)?  It might be that an issue with a file in there might be causing the problem...