We need to have better server moderation

I'll be blunt. The EU open servers have a racism problem.

How bad? Try a server currently open with a swastika in the middle, whose description mocks the 6 million jews killed in the Holocaust

How about the main FFA server(s) having a respected user with the user name "Dead N***** storage", who describes western liberalism as a cancer. And one of the main mods and person in charge of the bots in said servers thinks that spamming chat with the N word is a valid response to being told to stop tolerating racism. And considers criticism of said racism one of the few things worthy of actually preventing users from interacting with the server, not making mocking Holocaust and racism references.

And then users just going to other servers and adding swastikas in the landscape, changing signs to racial slurs, and making rides/stalls with racial slurs in the name.

I understand that these are all personal servers, but this is fucking disgusting, especially when they actually go into other servers to spread their racism. This is not a community we should be allowing. There needs to be a way for external moderation to prevent this, to make sure the impression of Open RCT2's community is not one of actual racism and fascism.

• Like 1

Anyone can create a server. What people build on servers is nothing to do with OpenRCT2 - it's up to the individual server owners what they will allow and how effectively they moderate it. I suggest picking a server that isn't run by racists.

Many open servers are frequently vandalized. If a server allows anyone to build, then that means anyone can come in and build a swastika on the map and you can't really stop it, you can only ban the user after the fact (and it's trivial to create a new user, so bans are ineffective unless they are IP bans). The only way to prevent this is to play on a server that only allows trusted users to build, but of course that means you first have to gain their trust. Some servers have an associated Discord channel which you need to join to request permissions.

• Like 1

As X7 points out, we cannot control what people do an a server. We don’t listen in on what’s being said in a server, because that would be a massive privacy intrusion and people would (rightly) not accept it.

We (or anyone) can _ask_ server owners to do something about it, but it’s up to them to cooperate - that’s assuming they’re not racists themselves. If they are, blocking their servers is also not really feasible - there is no account system or EULA to sign and thus nothing to reliably detect for a block, unless the server name or description contains anything offensive.

However, we can easily blacklist a few words from server names and descriptions to stop them from appearing in the server list. That would weed out at least some of the excesses.

• Like 1

I do certainly understand that with what the game has right now, it is rather difficult to ban individual users. And whether you would be able to put a tag on an individual's install for more permanent block attempts than just banning a server name/IP is, I would suspect, more complicated than just adding the functionality (Even if it could also be useful to inhibit troll attempts, I'm guessing you'd need a lawyer or two involved?). And as much as I wish I could volunteer to moderate open servers for such things, I definitely wouldn't be able to do it on more than a temporary basis... That and I suspect I wouldn't be deemed "neutral" enough.

Thanks for looking into a server name/description blacklist though. Could it perhaps be worth including it as a more general feature than that? Like a general list of banned words for use on rides/stalls/in chat? Nothing overly restrictive (Unless you figured a child friendly mode would be useful, which I doubt, there's no real reason to drop general profanity), just most of the usual racist/anti-LGBT/Whatever slurs.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy moly, I just logged on for the first time in a while and ran straight into the Dead N***** Storage guy.  What a fuckhead.  Gymnasiast, I know that it's not easy to fix for all the reasons you outlined in the thread, but it is an AWFUL look for OpenRCT2 for servers moderated by people like that guy to be at the top of the list.  

• Like 1