Jump to content

How is OpenRCT2 legal?


Recommended Posts

Sorry if this is a dumb question or sounds judgemental, but I'm considering making an OpenRCT2-style reimplementation of a different older game and was wondering exactly how (legally speaking) OpenRCT can be distributed for free without infringing on the original work. What can and can't be used from older games, and what legal frameworks protect OpenRCT from accusations of copyright infringement?

Link to comment

OpenRCT2 seems to be an absolutely niche software. Even in the evening prime-time, the free multiplayer servers often only have about 5 players online. I think that the publisher Infogrames don't interest very much that there also is an open source release of RCT2 - especially it is already 20 yeras old. Aside from that, an original RCT2 version is still required to run OpenRCT2 - so Infogrames can earn money if a new user is interested in OpenRCT2.

Link to comment

It's not that OpenRCT2 is 'small' enough that Frontier wouldn't care, there simply is no copyright or license infringement. If you want to do something similar with another game, make sure you read their their EULA thoroughly before you do anything unintended (especially look for 'no decompiling or reverse engineering', which has been added to most newer games).

(I have no experience with legal stuff and haven't read through much of it)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, jensj12 said:

make sure you read their their EULA thoroughly before you do anything unintended (especially look for 'no decompiling or reverse engineering', which has been added to most newer games).

 

The RCT2 EULA also has that wording, but that didn't stop the OpenRCT2 project.

eula.png.2ee32b8c6c8881e4204bfe311bdd2b9c.png

Link to comment
8 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

The RCT2 EULA also has that wording, but that didn't stop the OpenRCT2 project.

eula.png.2ee32b8c6c8881e4204bfe311bdd2b9c.png

Except ORCT2 doesn't do any of that in the sharing sense, therefore, since its not being sold, given, or claimed as their own, its fine. It simply modifies code that the person(s) already has. Which is completely legal. 

Edited by HookerHeels
Link to comment
1 hour ago, HookerHeels said:

Except ORCT2 doesn't do any of that in the sharing sense, therefore, since its not being sold, given, or claimed as their own, its fine.

No, they aren't distributing any of the original assets, but they did reverse engineer, decompile, and modify the code, which the EULA tells you not to do. It is not a clean room implementation.

My point is not that I give a shit what the EULA says, I'm just saying that if the OpenRCT2 developers had followed @jensj12's advice, we wouldn't have OpenRCT2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there! I created this account just to share my thoughts. OpenRCT2 would probably fall into the 'fair-use' territory since it still requires you to have the original game assets in order to play. OpenTTD seems to follow the same principle. Halo has a fair-use policy that allowed a non-profit derivate game project (whose name I forgot) to carry on after the legality of it was questioned, my guess is that OpenRCT2 would be just like it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

X7123M3-256 rightly points out that OpenRCT2 seems to be in clear violation of the original RCT2 EULA, even if the original files need to be supplied. I've looked into this issue on other sites and forums. The responses I saw were very dubious.

Also, I recently found the page on this site that provides the instructions and download link of the RCT2 demo to use in OpenRCT2, to "enjoy the full experience" without having to purchase the game at all. If I'm honest, this soured my enthusiasm and interest in the project.

Maybe I've misunderstood somehow? I'd appreciate it if anyone can fill me in on more. OpenRCT2 looks like a great tribute to RCT and a fantastic way to play, but because of these above issues, I won't be doing so at this point.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Alexkv said:

X7123M3-256 rightly points out that OpenRCT2 seems to be in clear violation of the original RCT2 EULA, even if the original files need to be supplied. I've looked into this issue on other sites and forums. The responses I saw were very dubious.

Also, I recently found the page on this site that provides the instructions and download link of the RCT2 demo to use in OpenRCT2, to "enjoy the full experience" without having to purchase the game at all. If I'm honest, this soured my enthusiasm and interest in the project.

Maybe I've misunderstood somehow? I'd appreciate it if anyone can fill me in on more. OpenRCT2 looks like a great tribute to RCT and a fantastic way to play, but because of these above issues, I won't be doing so at this point.

EULAs (or any contract) cannot take away rights you legally have. It should be noted that Atari itself is fully aware of our existence, and has endorsed it by 1) using it in their streams, and 2) allowing GOG to offer a bundle OpenRCT2 with RCT2. It’s hardly surprising, as OpenRCT2 has driven the sales of RCT2 a lot - many people bought RCT2 on Steam or GOG because they lost their originals discs or didn’t have a convenient way of reading them.

About the demo: I’m not happy about it either, but please note that this is not an official site, but one made by a fan, and we have extremely limited control over what goes on it. The official site is openrct2.io. We (the devs) never link to it from our Discord or the Reddit (and any posts linking to it get removed).

Edited by Gymnasiast
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/10/2021 at 12:26, Gymnasiast said:

t should be noted that Atari itself is fully aware of our existence, and has endorsed it by 1) using it in their streams, and 2) allowing GOG to offer a bundle OpenRCT2 with RCT2. It’s hardly surprising, as OpenRCT2 has driven the sales of RCT2 a lot - many people bought RCT2 on Steam or GOG because they lost their originals discs or didn’t have a convenient way of reading them.

This is a good summation of laws in general- Technically, any act is legal as long as nobody wishes to press charges.

 

And even if Atari were put in a position where someone tried to argue in court that this specific violation allowed more serious violations to become acceptable, I strongly suspect that the ensuing backlash would make it absolutely not worthwhile to shut down a popular mod in order to preserve full ownership of a game that's nearly (and based on a game that *is*) two decades old.

Edited by Ruuuubs
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...