Jump to content
OpenRCT2
Sign in to follow this  
S-Man42

White-Water Rafting

Recommended Posts

Thanks to the tile inspector and some cheats I could create a white-water rafting attraction. What a fun :)

openrct2.png

Edited by S-Man42
  • Artistic 2
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like a terrifying section of rapid to be running in a raft. That first drop onto rock and the siphons on either side of it do not look pleasant.

I'd suggest you put brakes at the base of the drops because the rafts aren't losing their speed quickly enough.  They should accelerate down the drop and then slow down quickly at the bottom. Another thing you can do is to put another loop of dinghy slide track running on test mode underground. The noise the boats make sounds a lot like rushing water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thanks for your suggetions. 

Maybe I should use another roller coaster type. I took the Wooden Wild Mouse because of its tiny turns and small drops. Maybe there is another type with better (smaller) drops. At most types the drops need more height so I cannot make the dinghies fall only one or two levels.

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Steel Wild Mouse should do the trick for you.

PS. I would recommend to merge a track with that which is able to do S-bends if you are ever going to make a new one as that would be a really nice manouvre for such.

Edited by Wuis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wuis said:

The Steel Wild Mouse should do the trick for you.

PS. I would recommend to merge a track with that which is able to do S-bends if you are ever going to make a new one as that would be a really nice manouvre for such.

You dont even need to merge for that if you're gonna make the track invisible anyway. Just use arbitrary ride types cheat to change into a type that uses s-bend and continue building. ^_^

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wuis: The Wooden Wild Mouse has the tiny turns. What is the benefit of the S-Bend to 2 of these turns? May I do not know what element you are mentioning?

Edit: I had a look to the steel variant. But I can't see that there is a shorter drop. Is there really a difference to the wooden one? Same turns, same drop slopes. 

@Deurklink: Sorry, I didn't get it. Can you explain your idea please? :)

 

Edited by S-Man42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

Hi, thanks for your suggetions. 

Maybe I should use another roller coaster type. I took the Wooden Wild Mouse because of its tiny turns and small drops. Maybe there is another type with better (smaller) drops.

There isn't. The wild mouse has all the smallest drops available. Also, as @Deurklink pointed out, the track type doesn't matter if you're going to make the track invisible since you can use any track piece anyway.

 

1 hour ago, S-Man42 said:

What is the benefit of the S-Bend to 2 of these turns?

It's not as abrupt. Having a raft that is carrying some momentum navigate hairpin turns looks very wrong because they can't do that IRL. You need to think about the physics because the game is simulating a coaster, not a raft. You have to think how a raft would behave and try to mimic it.

But I don't think you need to insert an S-bend anywhere on that course, the hairpin turns are fine. The rafts should not be carrying too much speed through the dogleg because the preceding drop is near vertical and most of the energy would be absorbed in the landing (which is why I suggest adding brakes). Following the large slide at the end of the rapid the rafts are going very fast, but even a large turn looks out of place here - they should continue straight for a few tiles until they have slowed down.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@X7123M3-256 I didn't mention the S-bend for this raft. But as you mentioned, the hairpin turns are kind of rough and if S-Man was planning to build another ride like this on a waterfall that has a less steep slope, the S-bend could feature as a nice manoeuvre around a rock for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wuis said:

@X7123M3-256 I didn't mention the S-bend for this raft. But as you mentioned, the hairpin turns are kind of rough and if S-Man was planning to build another ride like this on a waterfall that has a less steep slope, the S-bend could feature as a nice manoeuvre around a rock for example.

Yeah, I used s-bends on mine. There just isn't anywhere on OP's waterfall where one would fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@X7123M3-256 I had a look for the breaks. The Wodden Wild Mouse doesn't have any brakes. So I have to merge another rollercoaster type into the track. But merging needs 2 tiles afaik. There is not enough space in the small river for that. Do you have any other ideas?

It would be great if I could brake on the turn tiles... Is it possible to make any track part a brake/booster/whatever like the chain lift? In reality the rafting boats sometimes breaks after the drop by turning the boat. So a brake on a tiny turn wouldn't be unrealistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

So I have to merge another rollercoaster type into the track.

No you don't. You are making the track invisible anyway, so there's no reason to merge (if you use a track piece that is not supported on a given track style, it still works but the missing piece will not be drawn). In any case, the steel wild mouse track has all the same track pieces as the wooden wild mouse and does allow brakes, so I would recommend using that instead. You can always switch the track type back again after you've built the brakes (you can do the same for diagonals, or really any track piece you want - you only need to merge if the track is supposed to be visible).

 

4 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

Is it possible to make any track part a brake/booster/whatever like the chain lift?

Unfortunately not. You can get this effect using a shoestring, but a shoestring is very complicated to set up and IMO not really worth it for something so simple.  Another option is to put brakes just after the turn, then add a few invisible cars in front of the rafts so that the brakes are hit during the turn. Of course, you then have to account for this delay everywhere else you used brakes. It's also not an easy hack to set up - unlike a shoestring this can't be done with cheats, and is less flexible but it requires a lot less trial and error.

 

5 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

In reality the rafting boats sometimes breaks after the drop by turning the boat

This is called breaking out. Thing is, there are no eddies on your river left channel so there is no place to break out - once over the lip, the rafts aren't stopping until they wash out at the bottom. I would have the rafts follow the flow of the river, as they do now, but place brakes where the hydraulics would form, because these would slow the raft IRL.

I'd have it drop over the first ledge and then slow down to ~15mph in the pool at the bottom. Ideally you would brake slightly in the turn before the slide, but as noted above that's not easy to do so I'd skip it and just put brakes at the bottom of the slide.  Then more brakes once they turn out of the flow. The main thing is to not have the rafts going really fast on flat water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot for your patience and ideas :)  I didn't even know about the switch in the coaster's main window which I found now. Awesome :D

I hope I am not impolite if I ask some more. Some things you mentioned sound really nice. It is nice to learn more and more. Are there some examples/tutorials?

 

10 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

You can get this effect using a shoestring, but a shoestring is very complicated to set up and IMO not really worth it for something so simple.

All I know about "shoestrings" is from that thread

But I am not sure how this would help. Maybe the definition of a shoestring is unclear. I thought that the shoestring means this splitting the train thing. Am I wrong? So what is your intention? Splitting a double dinghies train into two single cars and then let one brake on the underground where the other one is right on the turn? Seems possible but then I need the switch at the beginning... Seems really hard (but it would be a great challenge, wouldn't it?)

10 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

then add a few invisible cars in front of the rafts so that the brakes are hit during the turn

How can I add invisible cars (or in more general: different types of cars)?

Thanks for your patience :)

Edited by S-Man42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

Splitting a double dinghies train into two single cars and then let one brake on the underground where the other one is right on the turn?

Exactly this.

3 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

Seems really hard (but it would be a great challenge, wouldn't it?)

It is. That's why I'm not recommending that you do it, just pointing out that it's possible. It's a real pain to get right - the two parts of the train must cover exactly the same distance during a circuit, or they get out of sync and the ride stops working.

 

3 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

How can I add invisible cars (or in more general: different types of cars).

There's a tutorial here. This also a more complicated hack; OpenRCT2 does not have a cheat to do it, so you'll have to use a debugger, hex editor, or similar tool to accomplish this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.3.2018 at 16:37, X7123M3-256 said:

the two parts of the train must cover exactly the same distance during a circuit, or they get out of sync and the ride stops working.

Hey sry for asking again. But I was wondering if there's a list how long each track piece is. Or is that a trial and error thing? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

Hey sry for asking again. But I was wondering if there's a list how long each track piece is. Or is that a trial and error thing? :)

There is in the source code. But I think most people do it by trial and error. I had a brief look at the source but going through by hand and calculating the length would take far longer than running the ride on fast forward to see if the trains get out of sync. It's a tedious process whichever way you do it - I thought about adding a console command to show track length but I never did.

Edited by X7123M3-256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 14:56, X7123M3-256 said:

I thought about adding a console command to show track length but I never did.

How terrible would it be to implement? This would be very useful for shoestringers everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated the YouTube video. Did some small enhancements (a brake). But didn't change the water fall. So the track is really hard for adding more brakes or boosters. Next time :)

Edited by S-Man42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...